Killing Weeds With Hot Water

Q: If I use hot water to kill my weeds, will it kill my other flowers around the weeds? I am only pouring the hot water on the weeds. How long will it take to kill the weeds.

Thank you,
Beverly Dickerson

A: Beverly,

This method of weed control has certainly gained a lot of attention on the past few years. As long as you use it as a topical spot treatment, your flowers should be fine. The idea is that the hot water melts away the coating on weed leaves, or it severely damages the weed plant's cellular structure. The weeds are then unable to retain moisture and dehydrate within anywhere from a few days to a few short hours. At times, as with all herbicides, additional treatments may be necessary. The only real problem with this form of weed management is that the hot water also kills beneficial soil microorganisms (as do traditional chemical methods). Desirable plants with shallow root systems can also be damaged if care is not taken during application.

The hot water method will not control all weeds, but is effective against many. Burning or searing weeds with infrared heat or a propane flamer is equally as effective and may be more energy efficient in the long run.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

It won't harm plants that don't get the hot water on them. Basically what the hot water does is "cook" them.

Cut the weed back to ground level and pour the hot water only on the root. Safer for nearby plants and faster destruction of the weed.

thanks

Thank You!

I tried this on the grass that was growing between my patio bricks and it worked wonderful. Thank you for such a wonderful suggestion.

roadrouser

Great idea! I have weeds growing in the cracks of my driveway that I have been wanting to get rid of! Thanks

Home and Garden Gardening WeedsSeptember 16, 2005
multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
Hand picking weeds
Controlling Weeds Organically
Picking Blackberries
Killing Weeds in a Blackberry Patch
Gravel Driveway
Preventing and Killing Weeds in Gravel
🎄