Make a Greenhouse for Late Tomatoes

It looked like it would soon be raining; I couldn't stand the thought of having so many soon-to-be ripe tomatoes rotting on the vines, so I decided to do something about it. I created a make-shift greenhouse.

It was fantastic that my husband had formed our huge tomato cages from a roll of wire (the kind used for cement slabs). All I had to do was trim the tops of our tomato plants so they would not extend past the top of the 'cages'. I was thrilled that our plants were next to a wire fence, meaning I could use that as one 'wall', attaching the semi-clear heavy plastic to it. I merely pulled the plastic over the wire cages, letting the plastic come to the ground.

I know from previous experience, I'll need to make a way so the plastic doesn't remain on the plants for too long, or else they will mold. Since the plastic isn't touching much of the actual foliage, I figure I'm safe for now. The two ends of the 'greenhouse' are open, but I don't expect any major storms before the last of the tomatoes are picked anyway.

A few days later, I merely made sure to remove any standing water from a couple of places it had pooled on top of my 'greenhouse'. I was able to pick lots of beautiful tomatoes, and expect many more to ripen soon.

By Cyndi from Angwin CA

I love fresh tomatoes and will certainly try this!

Building a Greenhouse, Greenhouse on the side of a home.
Building a Greenhouse
Home and Garden Gardening Growing Growing FoodOctober 9, 2008
Canned Tomatoes on White Background
Canning Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Plants with grow lights.
Making an Indoor Greenhouse
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes