Making Market Bags from Old T-Shirts

I know that most stores sell cloth bags to reuse for groceries, etc., but you can make your own with a bit of cutting and sewing. Take an old T shirt and lay it out flat on a table. Cut off the sleeves at the armhole seam and scoop out the neckline. Then, sew a seam or 2 across the bottom hemline. You now have a recycled shopping bag! The scooped out neckline is where you pack the groceries and the armholes become the handles. These are also great to make for kids to take their things to the pool. Smaller ones can be made from kid T shirts.

I saw these for sale on the Martha Stewart website for $20!

Source: Martha Stewart website

By Jan from Gainesville, GA

I don't think these bags would be very sturdy unless you line them with a heavier fabric.

They are actually very sturdy. You need to use the kind of t shirts like you get at races, colleges, or sports. Undershirts are too flimsy as are the juniors thin layering t shirts. I guess you could double them, if you wanted something really sturdy. They hold a little bit more than the plastic bags you get at the grocery store. They can easily carry that amount of weight.

I use these a lot, and they are very sturdy. I made mine from tank tops so there was no cutting involved. I just ran several seams across the bottom, and there you have it.

Great idea, Thriftologist! I will try that one, too.

Great idea I'm going to give it a try. Sounds easy and fast, I never have time enough.

Any photos of the steps or finished project?

I love the tank top idea! It would be worth a trip to the thrift store if you have kids who leave things lying about. Three of my 4 did that.... We even lost a few pairs of new shoes that way. I am going to tell my dil about this.

Loose ball of cut up t-shirts for crafting.
Crafts Using Recycled T-Shirts
Crafts Recycled Crafts PursesJune 22, 2010
Uses for Old T-Shirts, Mass of brightly colored clothing.
Uses for Old T-Shirts
Oranges in Mesh Bag
Uses for Mesh Orange Bags
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags, Coins in Zip-Lock Bag
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags
Gift bag made out of a sugar bag craft
Craft Uses for Sugar Bags
🎉
🎄