Handcrafted Rag Made From Old Shirts

Category Other
Grab two old cotton t-shirts and a pair of scissors to make this nifty recycled cleaning rag. This is an excellent way to reuse old clothing. This is a guide about making a handcrafted rag made from old shirts.

I hate throwing away my stuff especially when I know that I could make other things from it, just like these two large sized cotton shirts. When I was very young, we made rags at school. They are made from strips of old shirts. We even tended to sell them during our school's Market Day Celebration. So, here's how to make one.

• 2 pieces of old cotton clothes
  • scissors

1. Cut a rectangular shape from one of the pieces of clothing. As you can see I was able to make two pieces.
  2. Take one piece and fold into fourths, leaving an inch or an inch and a half as extra allowance.
  3. Cut the folds into 2 centimeter wide strips. Leave the allowance uncut.
  4. When you open up the folds it will look like this.
  5. Cut the other shirt into strips. About 2 cm wide and 2 inches long. Make as many as needed.
  6. Now, get the first cloth. Take two stripped cuts and tie them together using the cut out pieces from the second shirt.
  7. As you can see there's a hole or a space in between.
  8. Insert another piece into the hole and take another untied strip and tie them together. (See photo for better understanding on this procedure.)
  9. Do the alternate tying until it reaches the other end.
  10. This can also be used as table centerpiece liner. Just be creative and combine colors for a better presentation.
  11. Ad

Is this meant for cleaning?

Smart :)

Anonymous

What is the purpose of this?

Yup but it can also be used as centerpiece lining/mat. If you can make big ones, use them as door mat or foot rugs.