Use Bamboo Skewers To Keep Cats Out

I keep cats out of my raised veggie bed, by placing bamboo skewers about 8 to 12 inches apart in a grid pattern. You want them to be close enough, so that cats are uncomfortable digging or even walking through the garden.

I buy the skewers at the dollar store. They are cheap and non-toxic. The skewers can be easily removed as the plants grow and fill in the space. One dollar package takes care of my whole garden and has been working for me for the last three years.

By Jeanette from Citrus Heights, CA

I would be afraid they would try to go over them and get injured. Also, cats should be indoors so if they are your cats, I beg you to keep them in.

Cats are very smart, agile and particular about textures, I suspect they would be unlikely to skewer themselves even a little. If given pressure, surely the sharp end of a bamboo skewer would sink further into the garden soil.

Thanks for your input. I too love cats, but they are not my cats. When I insert the skewers pOinted side down they only stick up about 6 inches. I have watched the cats jump up on the edge of my raised beds, but when they try to step onto the soil they can't find a clear place to step so they go elsewhere. No injuries to kitties and no damage to my garden.

Thanks for this tip! Just what I was looking for.

A cat sitting in a garden bed.
Keeping Cats Out of the Garden
Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlJuly 29, 2011
A siamese cat sleeping in a planter.
Keeping Cats Out of Planters
A gray cat among flowers.
Keeping Cats Out of Flowerbeds
Bamboo
Selling Bamboo
Growing Lucky Bamboo
Growing "Lucky Bamboo"
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 3:48:37 PM on 10.0.1.55 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.