Cake Balls

This is a delicious recipe you can use with leftover cake scraps if you're a baker. Or just whip it up as a dessert anytime. Very simple!

• 1 box cake mix
  • 1 container of icing
  • nuts, powdered sugar, cinnamon or whatever will complement the flavor cake mix you choose.

Directions:

Bake cake as directed on box. Crumble cake into a mixing bowl when it comes out of the oven. Add the container of icing and mix well. Make into balls about the size of a walnut or however big you want them. Roll in nuts or powdered sugar.

You can also add various goodies into the mix before you form the balls, such as, raisins, crasins, nuts, coconut, dried or candied fruits, chocolate chips, candies. There are many, many possibilities with this recipe! It is very versatile.

The combination of cake mixes and icings are endless and so are the garnishes that you can choose to roll the balls in. Chill when rolled in garnish of choice.

You can also use cake scraps to make this recipe if you are a baker, like myself and use any icing you may already have on hand. You can make these as elegant or as simple as you want. Makes a great dessert to take to any gathering and they don't last long at all!

Source: I believe I found this recipe at www.cakecentral.com

By Michelle L. from Lanett, AL

Anonymous

I like this idea a lot! Thanks!

I bought some pumpkin donuts that were so dry the first day no one would eat them. So today after reading your post I broke them in chunks in the food processor and made coarse crumbs and then stirred in a few spoonfuls of icing just enough for them to hold together into balls. (The donuts already had a little bit of thin glaze on them.) And then I rolled them in the powdered sugar.

It really improved the donuts and they are already half gone. Next time I will try it with the cake.

One question: do they need to be refrigerated or not please?

Great idea. Can they be frozen?