Understanding Crochet Patterns and Abbreviations

What does this mean: Ch1, sc in end of next row, *2sc in end of each next 2 rows?

By sumr from CA

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Ch1, sc in end of next row, *2sc in end of each next 2 rows.

Are you binding off something that has been crochet? If so:

Chain 1 then single crochet in the end of the row, 2 single crochet in the end of the next 2 rows then repeat from the * until completed.

Since you didn't mention knitting, I'm assuming you aren't knitting. These instructions are not uncommon in a crochet pattern. Here's the translation.

At the end of the next row you work, chain 1 then single crochet one stitch.

At the end of each of the next 2 rows, work 2 single crochet in the last stitch.

If you're still confused send me a message via ThrifyFun and I'll try to explain it better.

Have fun!

Answer

What does the crochet term "ss" mean? I have a pattern I am working on and the ss term is used with no explanation. My pattern did not provide a guide. It has something to do with the popcorn stitch, but that is all I know.

By Kate H.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

slip stitch

Read More Answers...

I am trying to crochet a ponchini. What does this mean? (5 ch-3 sps)
Thanks.

By Gail from Alpahretta, GA

Answers:

Here's a good start so you can learn to read patterns:

http://www.crochetcabana.com/reading-patterns.htm

Oddly, as an experienced crocheter, what you posted doesn't make much sense to me.

Chain 5 and what? sps? I can see why you are confused. Without seeing the actual pattern and what you are making, there is little I can do to help you other than offering the link above.

Hope that helps at least a little. (01/21/2010)

By COflower

Directions in step by step order usually have commas right after each step. Pause at each comma before continuing onto next step. It makes reading patterns much easier if you know to stop at each comma.

The abbreviation "sps" can mean spaces like chain 5 and in next 3 spaces do whatever it says to do. You need to understand abbreviated terms better also like (bps) for example is back post stitch and (fps) is front post stitch. When you learn how to do the stitches and see the abbreviations for them; it makes crocheting enjoyable and less work trying to read patterns.

You should be able to find out any/everything you need to know from the internet websites pertaining to "crochet abbreviations" and "reading crochet directions". (01/21/2010)

By Lorelei

Here's a link that can explain better than I about reading a pattern and understanding a few of the abbreviations. This is working in rounds.

http://www.crochetspot.com/how-to-read-crochet-patterns/ (01/21/2010)

By Lorelei

Sounds to me like 5 spaces, each of which was made by doing a crochet stitch followed by 3 chain. (02/01/2010)

By didough

It means 5 of the spaces which were made with 3 chains for each space. In other words 5 x 3chain spaces, or 5 spaces of 3chain. Hope this makes it clearer. (02/01/2010)

By Fay123

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Ball of blue yarn with crochet hook.
Crochet Tips and Tricks
Crafts CrochetMarch 30, 2011
Crochet Hat Patterns
Crochet Hat Patterns
Free Crochet Pattern
Finding Free Crochet Patterns
Crochet for Beginners
Crochet Patterns for Beginners
A person crocheting a pink baby blanket.
Finding Time to Crochet
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 20, 2016 at 9:45:12 AM on 10.0.2.182 in 849 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.