Save Those Pumpkin Seeds - Categories:

Cooking TipsThanksgiving

Save Those Pumpkin Seeds

When carving pumpkins for pie, don't throw out the seeds! Wash off the gooey stuff, spread on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with Lawry's (seasoning) salt and bake at 375 for about 10 minutes. Makes a great snack.

By Sunny

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

It's a different time span when cooking with a gas stove. Trust me I made some when I carved our Halloween pumpkins. I had to keep putting them back in because they weren't crispy enough. Well that is for us but other people may have different opinions. I put ours in at 250 for 20 minutes then turned them for another 10 minutes.

I've tried to make roasted pumpkin seeds several times in the past, and I don't think it's ever turned out well. I think I've done recipes like this that use just salt, and others that use butter and salt.

Are the shells supposed to get crispy? Do you eat them like sunflower seeds - where you crack the shell and eat the seed/meat from the inside, or are you supposed to eat the whole thing, shell and all?

I didn't grow up on roasted pumpkin seeds. It seems like a good idea, and I want to do it well and like it, but I just don't know what the results should be like. I've also read some recipes that said not to rinse too much of the pulp off -- they claim it adds more flavor?

Holidays and Parties Thanksgiving Cooking TipsNovember 20, 2004
Pumpkin Custard
Pumpkin Custard Recipes
Sowing seeds directly.
Direct Sowing Seeds
Pumpkin Seeds
Using Pumpkin Seeds
Freezing Pumplin Pies
Freezing Pumpkin Pies
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 9:08:45 AM on 10.0.0.227 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.