Food Lost During a Power Outage

If you have homeowners insurance, food that has to be thrown out during a power outage may be covered by your policy. Check with your insurance company to be sure. Some insurance policies will cover up to $500.00 per appliance if you provide a general list of what was lost and its replacement value.

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Generally homeowners insurance has a $500 or more deductible so it'll be a wash and not worth filing a claim for.

Editors Note: I recently had this happen and my insurance company had a food replacement policy that was not part of the deductible. They covered up to $500 for a refrigerator and $500 for a freezer. It's worth checking with your insurance company.

Food lost is exempt from the deductible for my insurance. So it's well worth looking into. All they needed was a broad list of items I had lost and the replacement cost.

Thank you! I would have never thought of doing this!

After the hurricanes, we found that it really helped to take a snapshot of the spoiled food as we emptied the freezer and refrigerator as well as listing it.

I lost all my food and checked with my insurance company they said I had a 500 dollar deductible I had to pay.

Answer

How do I make the best possible list of spoiled food from my fridge and freezer after a 26 hour power outage on a 42 degree C (107F) hot day? I need it for insurance claim purposes.

By Silvana

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Read through your policy to make sure you follow their rules in the policy for making claims; every company has different rules on what and how they allow claims. Some require receipts, some a spreadsheet, others just an estimated value.

Home and Garden Emergency Power OutageMarch 1, 2007
Open chest freezer
Cleaning a Freezer After a Power Outage
Power Outage Supplies
Preparing for a Power Outage
Power Outage Safety Plan for People on Oxygen
Meat in Freezer
Food Safety During a Power Outage
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 12, 2016 at 5:00:57 AM on 10.0.2.62 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.