Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Food Lost During a Power Outage

If you have homeowners insurance, food that has to be thrown out during a power outage may be covered by your policy. Check with your insurance company to be sure. Some insurance policies will cover up to $500.00 per appliance if you provide a general list of what was lost and its replacement value.

By Gina (Guest Post)12/27/2008

I lost all my food and checked with my insurance company they said I had a 500 dollar deductible I had to pay.

By Jeanne (Guest Post)03/05/2007

After the hurricanes, we found that it really helped to take a snapshot of the spoiled food as we emptied the freezer and refrigerator as well as listing it.

By (Guest Post)03/02/2007

Thank you! I would have never thought of doing this!

By Lewissan [31]03/01/2007

Food lost is exempt from the deductible for my insurance. So it's well worth looking into. All they needed was a broad list of items I had lost and the replacement cost.

By Marna (Guest Post)03/01/2007

Generally homeowners insurance has a $500 or more deductible so it'll be a wash and not worth filing a claim for.

Editors Note: I recently had this happen and my insurance company had a food replacement policy that was not part of the deductible. They covered up to $500 for a refrigerator and $500 for a freezer. It's worth checking with your insurance company.

Here are questions related to Food Lost During a Power Outage.

Question: Claiming Spoiled Food on Insurance

How do I make the best possible list of spoiled food from my fridge and freezer after a 26 hour power outage on a 42 degree C (107F) hot day? I need it for insurance claim purposes.

By Silvana

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie02/02/2012

Read through your policy to make sure you follow their rules in the policy for making claims; every company has different rules on what and how they allow claims. Some require receipts, some a spreadsheet, others just an estimated value.