Growing Vegetables In The Fall

What vegetables will grow in fall and winter in Riverside, CA? Also how can I best prepare my soil? It is mostly clay.

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Contact your local extension office. They should have a website with this information on it.

Here's the tip you will thank me for fifty years for: Before you do anything, else, add 1/3 more to your dirt in sand. Use the sand they sell for concrete. You can buy it at the home improvement store by the sack, or you can have a load delivered, or you can take all your buckets to the place that sells soils and bark. This one thing will make your plants have roots that happily sink deep and live well. The roots can't get through clay, the holes you dig will be like little tubs to drown your plants in, and the sand will make all the difference. Best of all, sand doesn't rot, so it will permanently work! I'm in the process of doing the same for my new place that I did for my old place >vbg< .

Clay soil should be amended with sand and compost mixed in. It should also be done well before the area gets planted in, so you'd better get movin. It helps to amend it every year until it is really fertile--you'll know the difference--you'll be able to see and feel it.

A basket of late summer vegetables and herbs from the garden.
Growing Vegetables
Home and Garden Gardening VegetablesSeptember 6, 2008
Kale after snow has fallen.
Vegetables That Taste Better After Frost
Woman holding up vegetables from her garden.
Growing Your Own Food
Frosted vegetable in garden.
Growing Food in the Fall and Winter
Variety of garden vegetables and fruits in and surrounding a basket on a table.
Harvesting Common Garden Vegetables
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 20, 2017 at 7:08:58 AM on 10.0.0.172 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.