Removing Wrinkles from Area Rug - Categories:

Carpets and RugsDecorating

Removing Wrinkles from Area Rug

I just bought an area rug and there are some wrinkles in it where it was rolled up. How can I get them out?

By Sheri from Spanish Fork, UT

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Turn the rug upside down for a few days. Worked for me.

Spray with 1 cup of water, half cup of rubbing alcohol (for fast drying time) & half a cup of fabric softener (for wrinkles).

If you don't want to do this (because of the possible residue from the fabric softener), simply spray rug with plain water on BOTH the top & the bottom of the wrinkles then use a hot blow-dryer on the same places. The heat of the blow dryer & the moisture will "steam" the rug so it lays flat. After you do this, put some heavy phone books on top (with plastic wrap under the books so they won't stick) & leave them overnight while the moisture dries.

Sometime you can leave the rug outside overnight on a covered porch to absorb moisture, then bring it inside & it will lay flat. I also used my hands to help roll the outside edges under.

In the past I've placed a cloth towel over the rug and, working section by section, used a clothes iron on low heat over the towel to get rid of the wrinkles ;-)

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Carpets and RugsFebruary 15, 2010
ornamental rug
Removing Rug Dye from Carpet
Downward photo of an area rug in a lobby
Cleaning Area Rugs
Window Sheers
Removing Wrinkles from Sheers
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 12:02:24 PM on 10.0.0.160 in 676 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.