California Bulbs Advice

Q: I have bulbs to plant. Tulips, crocus, amaryllis, daffodils, etc. They are from my garden at my old house. I live in Southern California. I have them stored in the garage. My question is, Can I plant them in the ground now (March)? Will they come up this spring? What do you suggest?

beachers from West Covina, CA

A: Beachers,

You have nothing to lose, so I suggest getting them into the ground as soon as possible. Most of your bulbs need a fairly long period of pre-chilling before they will flower, so those that are still viable are not likely to produce any flowers this year, but they may produce enough foliage to get back on track for next year. You could also try giving them an artificial winter by potting them, covering them and placing them in the refrigerator for the next couple of months (how long depends on the type). Store them away from fruits and vegetables that can give off ethylene gas, which damage bulbs. After a period of chilling, try forcing them indoors. How successful you are will depend on whether or not the bulbs dried out or were damaged during storage. To increase your odds, try chilling some and planting others.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at

I have moved to a new house and I dug up my bulbs from last season and brought them with me. I have Crocus, Tulips, Amaryllis and Daffodills. That was last August. I forgot all about them. They were in the garage. Now it is March. My question is, Can I still plant them and have blooms this season? I live in southern California? It is 65-78 degrees right now. If I can plant them, can I plant them in a ten gallon pots? These pictures are from last season at the previous house. I would love to have these bloom again.

Hardiness Zone: 10b

Beachers from West Covina,CA

RE: Planting Bulbs Late

Carol (Guest Post)

I always plant my Easter flower bulbs after they finishing flowering and the foliage dies back in the spring. I've had very, very good luck with this. They always bloom the following spring for me. Best of luck.

RE: Planting Bulbs Late

Post by ktthegr8

I am a lazy gardener and don't usually follow the rules. My husband brought home well over 50 Tulip bulbs from work in the height of summer last year, so I planted them as soon as I got them and I live in MO. They are starting to come up right now. Also, I don't dig my bulbs up and they seem to be fine. I've done this will grape hyacinths, daffodils and irises, can't report any problems.

Definitely get them into the ground ASAP. They may not bloom as normal this summer but they may also surprise you and give you a great show.

Your bulbs wont bloom unless they've had a dormant period where it was cold. If you've kept them in the refrigerater it will work find for this year, but unless outside temps get cold during the winter, your bulbs wont blossom

When do I put tulipe bulbs in pots in Southern ca.

I have bulbs that are large, produce tall 4-5' fronds and send single spikes of small red flower clusters. Anybody know what these are?

Home and Garden Gardening BulbsApril 6, 2006
A hand holding an incandescent bulb.
Using Incandescent Bulbs
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent), A light bulb.
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent)
Fall crocus bulbs.
Growing Bulbs in Every Season
Legoland California
California Frugal Travel Guide