Baking With Shaped Pans

I have a heart shaped metal pan. Actually there are six heart shapes in the pan. I want to make a simple valentine recipe. Could I use a cookie, cake, or cookie bar recipe from a box? Which would work best? If I spray the pan, will the cookies, cake, etc. slip out easily enough?

By Jackie from Enumclaw, WA

You should be able to make any of those in the pan with not problem. Simply be sure and spray it good first. I'd use butter flavor spray because it'd taste so much better than the oil flavored ones.

For the cake recipe, I'd sift some of the cake mix into the bottom of the pan too like you'd normally do with flour. By using the cake mix it'll come out tasting better. You only need to use maybe a tablespoon of it.

The old favorite sugar cookie recipe (if you like it) will fit what you want with minimal work. Just put enough to cover the bottom of the pan. You may find that regular cake mix will fall apart.

I think I'd try a box cake. Fill the molds half-way or a little more. They should come out fine if you grease the pans. I have one of those too - there are 6 heart shapes with a hole in the middle of each. Bake as for cupcakes, maybe a few minutes more - test with a toothpick.

I'd both grease and flour the pans just to make sure the recipe pops out in one piece.

You can use any recipe, but if you want a really good pan release, just use 1/2 cup veg. oil and 1 cup flower. Put this mixture in a container and put in your cupboard. Then take it out when you need it and brush it on/in any pan. It will release beautifully, making sure that you put a good coating on the pan. This also helps in saving money on those sprays that have chemicals in them.

When I want to be sure of easy release, I generously oil the pan and smooth clean coffee filters to cover the entire bottom (trim if necessary). When done, I run a knife around the sides of the pan, place an even (or cooling) surface on top of the pan, and invert. (cake upside down). The cake slips right off. I gently remove the oiled coffee filters, and cool as usual.

Thanks everyone for all of your help and tips! I ended up using a basic box cake mix. I oiled the pan and then sprinkled a bit of the cake mix like flour. They did slip out fairly easy. I used a chocolate cake mix, white cream cheese frosting, put a candy heart in the middle of it and then used red sprinkles on top. Very pretty heart shaped cakes for Valentines Day! Thanks again!

Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingFebruary 10, 2010
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
Baking Pan
Flouring Baking Pans
Dirty Pots and Pans
Cleaning Pots and Pans
Dirty drip pan and stove top.
Keeping Electric Range Drip Pans Clean
🎄
🍂