Flouring Baking Pans

Category Baking
Flouring your baking pans is one way to prevent sticking. This is a guide about flouring baking pans.

My mom gave me this tip a few years ago. When a cake mix calls for greasing and flouring the pans, she uses butter to grease and some of the dry cake mix to flour the pan. The cake doesn't end up with white on the outside and it doesn't taste bad like flour would.

By Lori from Indiana

A quick, easy and efficient way to coat your buttered cake pans with flour, cinnamon or cocoa is to use your tea strainer. It is finely netted like a sifter and the spring action in the handle makes it easy to load with just the right amount of powder. Just shake it around your cake pain and poof! Job done in seconds. No clumps, unevenness, or missed spots. Your cake pops out with ease.

By Kat from National Park, NJ

If you like sweets, this is for you. Next time you bake sweet bread or muffins, try greasing and sugaring the pan instead of greasing it and flouring. You will love the slight hint of added sweetness

By mamacrafter from TN

When a recipe for a desert or sweet item calls for you to grease and flour a cake pan, instead grease and powdered sugar it. It adds just a hint more sweet!

By April from NW Missouri

When a recipe says to grease and flour a cake pan, when the cake is done, and I take it out of the oven, there is always some of the flour from the greasing and flouring left on the finished cake. I don't want to frost the cake. Do I have to flour the cake pan, or is greasing it enough to prevent this problem from happening?

Thanks,
P.J. from Delaware

Answers

By Peggy (Guest Post)

Instead of using flour, use a bit of the cake mix. That will help.

By Connie (Guest Post)

To "flour" your cake pan just use some of the dry part of your cake batter and your cake won't have that flour taste either.

Connie from CA.

By Little Foot (Guest Post)

Try this... I line my pan with foil then I grease it. When the cake is done I flip it over and carefully peel the foil off the cake. I use a knife on places that are stuck. I get a perfect cake that has not fallen apart and I throw away the foil...and the extra bonus is I don't have to wash the pan. I hope this helps.

By christi (Guest Post)

If you are using a cake mix just use a little of that instead of flour and it will blend in with the rest of the cake. If its a chocolate cake, you can use cocoa instead of flour. Personally I dont flour and have no problems.

You should grease and flour the pan, if you don't the cake probably will not come out of the pan. However, you can use confectionary sugar instead of the flour. Or you can use the dry cake mix. Good luck!

By debbie (Guest Post)

take the dry cake mix before you mix in the eggs, water, and oil and use that instead of flour it works great then you dont have the white residue from the flour.

The grease keeps the cake from sticking. The flour is so the batter has something to cling to so it will climb high and will rise light and fluffy in baking.

I sprinkle sugar in my pans instead of flour when I don't plan to frost my cake. Works great for me. Carol

By Karen in NH (Guest Post)

The only time I flour my cake pan is when I'm using a Bundt pan or tube pan. If I'm making a round or rectangular cake I don't bother; I just spray liberally with Pam (or other brands) and I've never had a problem.

This recipe will solve your problem.

GREASE AND FLOUR

1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup shortening
1 cup flour

In a large mixing bowl, mix until smooth with an electric mixer. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until needed. Use this to coat pans for cakes, muffins, pies or anything that requires 'greased and floured' pans. Use plastic sandwich bag on your hand to grease pans and then throw it away when done.

After greasing and flouring litely, turn the pan upside down and smack it on it's bottom to knock out all of the extra flour.

Then proceed with the recipe, or re-flour if needed.

I've not floured a cake pan in years. I just use the cooking spray and haven't had a cake stick in the pan with it. Best of luck in your baking.

By miah (Guest Post)

no you dont but it works just as well

By Gail (Guest Post)

My cake calls for 1 c. oil, 1 c. buttermilk. I grease the pans, but the cake falls in the middle every time! Should I just skip greasing the pans, seeing that the batter is so oily? Help. This is a great holiday cake and have to make it now!

Someone posted a method to easily grease and flour pans. I lost it and would like to know the proportions. It was flour, oil, and vegetable shortening I think.

By Judy

Answers

Using a paper towel or clean cloth, scoop about 1/8 Cup shortening and wipe all over pan, especially in creases. Toss about 1/8 Cup flour into pan, shake as if you're panning for gold... quick little back and forth, side to side movements. Turn pan on side in your hands and rotate in 1 circle to allow the flour to coat sides. Turn upside down and lightly tap excess flour into garbage.
Voila! No stick.:)