Hydrangea Won't Bloom

How do I get my Hydrangea plant to bloom?

By annek4 from Northford, CT

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

July 15, 2009 Flag

Why won't my hydrangea bloom?

Sandee from Falcon, MO

Answers:

Hydrangea Won't Bloom

I add 1 Tbsp. Epsom salt to a gallon of water and pour around the roots of my Hydrangeas once in the Fall and once in the Spring before they begin to leaf out. This has worked in making plants that were just all leaves and no flowers, bloom. It has also worked for my French Lilac plants which were not blooming at all. Try it. (07/14/2008)

By SueBee

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 2, 2007 Flag

Question:

I bought and planted two Hydrangeas of the same type side by side 3 or 4 years ago. One has beautiful blooms every year and the other has never made a flower. I do not understand as they get the same sun, shade, rain, etc. Any idea what is happening here?

Thanks,
Betty from Slate Hill, NY

Answer:

Betty,

Are they both planted at the same depth? If you think the plant that is not blooming is planted too deeply, try pulling a little soil away from the crown of the roots. Hydrangeas planted too deeply will not perform well.

Plants are temperamental beings. I've found that they can be as different from one another as people. Despite being given the exact same access to food, water and sunshine, even plants of the same species can respond differently to their environment. Since your hydrangeas are planted side by side, does one end up protecting the other from exposure to snow or winter winds? Could the flower buds from your non-blooming hydrangea be suffering from winter damage? Does one hydrangea receive even slightly more light due to its position next to the other? How about one being in a position where it would get too much fertilizer due to run-off from the lawn? You may also want to try changing when you prune the plant that isn't blooming just to make sure that isn't the problem. If all else fails, maybe it will be happier if you relocate it to a different place in the garden.

Ellen

More Answers:

Hydrangea Won't Bloom

You don't say what kind of hydrangea you have. That would really help in answering your question. I also wanted to mention that some hydrangeas, eventhough their roots may survive your cold winters and produce new shoots in the spring, they may never bloom because it is just too cold. Excellent info on hydrangeas can be found at www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com (09/21/2006)

By adina72

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 16, 2006 Flag
Q: I have a hydrangea plant that is in its 3rd year. It gets mostly afternoon sun and morning shade. Why won't it bloom? My mom has one, too. We bought them together. She has blooms, I don't. I am jealous! Any advice?

Hardiness Zone: 4b

Lisa5 from Billings, MT

A: Lisa,

There are a couple of reasons your hydrangea may be failing to bloom. First off, compare the growing conditions of yours to that of your mothers. Do you offer yours the exact same light, soil, fertilization, winter protection, etc.? Do you seem to get a lot of dead wood each spring? If so, you may be losing the flower buds over winter and need to offer it some protection. You didn't mention what type of hydrangea you have, but if yours is a type that flowers on old wood, by pruning at the wrong times, you risk removing nest year's flower buds. To figure out what type of hydrangea you have and when to prune it, browse the information and pictures at www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com If you have been pruning or removing dead wood, leave your hydrangeas alone for a year and see what happens. Protect them over winter by surrounding the shrub with a cage made out of chicken wire and filling it will leaves. In the spring after danger of frost has passed, remove the cage and give the wood a chance to wake up (some types wake up more slowly). Apply a slow release organic fertilizer once in June or side dress with compost or well-rotted manure. Hydrangea's love water (hence the name hydro) and deep, less frequent watering is best. Finally, remember that like people, every plant is different. Your hydrangea just may take a little longer to establish itself before blooming.

Good luck!
Ellen

More Answers:

Hydrangea Won't Bloom

I have read that if you plant a hydrangea that you have bought in full bloom such as ones sold at Mothers Day etc., they wont bloom again. When they are propogated they are forced for a one time show only. They are grown for that one time blooming and no matter how you plant or care for them they wont do anything but grow. I am currently trying to see if I take a cutting from one such as that and root it that maybe it will trick it into thinking it is a whole new plant and maybe will bloom. They are easily rooted. (06/19/2006)

By spesialangel

Hydrangea Won't Bloom

I planted my hydrangea near a tree. I think for the first few years the tree took all the water from the ground. Whatever the reason, it took it several years to become established. It still doesn't grow fast, but it blooms... (06/23/2006)

By Carol in PA

Hydrangea Won't Bloom

I think I cut my hydrangeas back too far last fall, and this year all i got were green shoots, i didn't get one flower. If i leave them alone this fall and let them come back naturally next spring, will they bloom?
i need help with this, it seems like such a waste of a beautiful flower. (considering they were one of the reasons my wife wanted the house we're in.)

(b)Editor's Note: (/b) Because there are green shoots, it will probably come back next year. I think some hydrangeas only bloom on the older wood. (07/24/2006)

By RANDI

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 11, 2005 Flag

Q: I'm not having any luck getting my hydrangea to bloom. It forms the flower heads, but only 1 or 2 of the flowers open. What can I do to make it bloom like it should? I've had it for at least 7 years, and it has never bloomed.

Hardiness Zone: 3b

Eleanor from Duluth, MN

A: Eleanor,

There are a few reasons your hydrangeas may not be blooming. Because you live in Duluth, MN, I'm going to assume you're growing one of the hydrangea types best prepared to survive Minnesota winters. Hydrangeas prefer rich, well-drained, consistently moist soil. The varieties hardy to Minnesota do best in light sun to partial shade. They typically need at least a little morning sun and some afternoon shade. The more cool morning sun they get the better they bloom. If you think these basic needs are being met, your lack of blooms may be due to improper fertilizing or pruning. Excessive nitrogen fertilizers will keep the hydrangeas energy focused on roots and stems, instead of flowers. With the exception of Hydrangea macrophylla, most hydrangeas grown where you live bloom on new wood, and should be pruned in the spring. Pruning in summer, winter or fall removes next year's blooms.

If you're growing the type of hydrangea that blooms on old wood, pruning too hard will also keep plants from blooming. In this case, prune back to just above the second or third node from the base of the plant in the fall after a killing frost. This type of hydrangea is also less winter hardy and may need to be protected from freezing and thawing with mulch. The most common reason this type of hydrangea doesn't flower is due to winter damage, even though foliage appears healthy the following season.

Ellen

More Answers:
Hydrangea Never Blooms 10/14/2005
Have you tried giving it some fertilizer. I would try givingit a dose of 15-30-15 at a rate of 1 tablespoon/2 litres of water once every 2 weeks.
If you don't like using chemical fertilizers try top dressing it with compost or manure. Also the problem my be the pruning, as you may be pruning off your following years flowers...In this case check with your garden nursery as they usually have papers on tips for you to follow...Most are really good about giving advice. Good Luck !!!!!
By Linda W. (Guest Post)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Gardening ShrubsJuly 15, 2009
Deadheading a Hydrangea
Deadheading a Hydrangea
Pink Christmas Cactus
Getting a Christmas Cactus to Bloom
Japanese Anemone
Flowers That Bloom in October
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 7:19:46 AM on 10.0.2.225 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.