Egg Sandwiches When Camping

Use canning rings to make round egg patties for egg sandwiches. Just put a canning jar ring on your skillet, add the egg contents inside the ring and cook until the egg has solidified. Apply a little cooking oil to the ring to prevent sticking. Eggs will fit perfectly in between small hamburger buns, bagels, or English muffins.

That reminds me my kids and I used to make "egg in a hole" when we went camping. Put a little butter in a cast iron skillet, cut a hole in a slice of bread, lay the bread in the heated buttered pan and drop the egg in the hole. You can flip the egg and the bread together and toast the hole on the side. Then garnish with the toasted "hole" on top. One of those little things that make important memories. We used to make them at home a lot also!

This is a great idea and one I'll use at home instead of camping. I have lots of canning rings too! Gee, why didn't I think of this before! I love a cheese and fried egg sandwich and this way I can make perfect round fried eggs.

I actually thought of this too about a year ago, but it didn't work for me. The egg white ran out from under the ring. Oh well...glad you had luck with it.

Crate & Barrel sells an egg ring for $3.95. It is fairly heavy and has a handle that pulls up so that it can be easily lifted from the pan.

It works very well as long as you remember to grease the inside of the ring, and preheat the fry pan. If the pan isn't hot the egg white will seep out. So perhaps just a canning jar ring would work. It might just be a matter of preheating.

Cooking Over Camp Fire
Camping Cooking Tips
Travel and Recreation Recreation Camping RecipesJune 30, 2006
A pot cooking over a fire.
Camping Recipes
Children Laughing in Campground
Camping with Children
Tealight candle burning in the dark
Camp Cooking With Tealights
Mom and 3 girls Camping in the Rain
Camping in the Rain