Recycled Chair Planters

• 1 old cane back chair
  • chicken wire
  • burlap preform or hanging burlap basket
  • moss
  • potting soil if needed
  • plants

Once these old chairs have the seats go bad on them, unless you can refurbish them, they're usually pretty worthless. I found a great way to salvage them as well as come up with new planters.

1. Take the webbing left in the seat area and strip it all out.
  2. Cut an ample square of chicken wire to fit down into the seat area and form a square or round type of planter to hold your plants.
  3. Roll the chicken wire over the seat frame area and twist the ends of the chicken wire to hold it firmly in place.
  4. Take your moss and line the planter area that you've formed in the seat. I go a little heavier on the sides to prevent losing it when watering.
  5. Take the burlap and fit it into your seat area, fill in extra moss around the edges; you want to have a stable planting area.
  6. Ad

7. Fill with plants to your heart's desire. I like to take either ivy or taller plants on the back side, they entwine themselves around the chair frame as they grow. Looks great on your front porch and adds a little variety from your regular pots.
  8. You can also pre-paint or refinish the chair to your liking before turning it into a planter. White with stencil backing or ivy painted on the framework looks great too!
  9. By Nelda from Dallas, TX

Chair planter

This is so cute! You can get chairs cheap at yard sales or if some one throws them out! I cant wait to try it!

How ingenious you are! I bet you can do the same thing with worn-out folding chairs, also. I have some that are beginning to look bad, and I'm too lazy to re-wrap them! I did that one time and decided it wasn't worth the work - making a flower planter out of it would be much easier and prettier, too! Thanks for sharing your smart idea with us!

How great! I really like this idea. I have been trying to come up with an idea for my front porch area and in my secret garden. I can't wait to go looking for a chair now....

I love this idea. It is just what I needed at ths time. I have four metal chairs without seat bases. Now I know what to do with them. I can put them around my garden, hither and yon. Thanks so much. I even have loads of ivy on my land. I will just transplant that.

l found my wicker chair on the side of the road and although there was no seat l thought lm sure there is a clever person who would know what to do with it and l found your wonderful sight. Thank you for your great ideas keep up the good work.

Recycled wooden chair planter.
Making a Chair Planter
Crafts Garden & Yard PlantersApril 12, 2007
Broken terra cotta planter used to retain garden plant.
Reusing Terra Cotta Planters
Recycled Jeans Flower Pot
Recycled Jeans Planters
Office chair with lime green cushions.
Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair