Old Chair for Container Gardening

contest winner icon

Many household objects can be used as containers in the garden. I love to use old chairs in the garden to add height and interest to an area that might be otherwise plain without it.

Many can be found on trash day, free for the taking. This one was without a seat, so I stapled a wire basket to the underside of the chair and added a cocoa liner. A layer of newspaper in the liner helps to retain moisture as cocoa liners can dry out easily in the heat of the summer. Fill with plants and good quality potting soil that contains a slow release fertilizer and moisture holding crystals.

By Dottie from Pennellville, NY

I'm always looking for neat ideas for container gardening and your chair is beautiful. Thanks for the excellent photo and directions.

Some people can make trash into treasures and you are one of them. I LOVE IT! I may try that here.

Although I've seen this idea done before, I've never seen it done any better than yours. What a wonderful picture, too. I also like your addition of the frog - too cute! Is how you found the chair or did you paint it? It looks like Spring has sprung in Pennellville, NY!

That's so beautiful.

I too have seen these done and I have to agree with FlaKathy..Yours is the best I've seen. Thanks for the nice photo. GG Vi

What a great idea and WOW it looks great!

Thank you for sharing with us, and for inspiring us.

Annie

That is fantastic......gives a whole new meaning and idea for those old worn out chairs. I am not familiar with Cocoa paper, can you please tell me where to purchase it? When you email please leave out the spaces Lmm3880 @ hotmail . com

That's absolutely darling! I love it!

I have heard these called Fairy Chairs. I did a google search, there

were many results.

I've always wanted to do this and after seeing yours I think I'm going to try to do it this summe...now I've got to start looking for a chair...thanks for the inspiration...gail

Thanks everyone...I've never heard them called fairy chairs before...maybe because this one is life size....aren't the fairy chairs miniature? Anyway, I'm glad you liked it. Happy Gardening!

Flowers Planted in Bicycle Basket
Creative Garden Planters
Home and Garden Gardening Creative PlantersApril 13, 2006
Recycled wooden chair planter.
Making a Chair Planter
Office chair with lime green cushions.
Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair
Small Walled Garden
Gardening in Small Spaces
A hanging bottle planter
Making a Plastic Soda Bottle Hanging Planter
🎄