Resizing Baking Pans

Don't have the correct size baking pan for a cake or casserole? Downsize a larger one by simply molding a piece of heavy duty foil and fitting it in the pan to adjust for the desired dimensions as shown. You could also add a second piece of foil perpendicular to the one in place to adjust the width of the pan as well as the length. Then line the entire pan with parchment or a sheet of foil and pour in batter or casserole ingredients. This has worked many times for me in a pinch when the pan I had on hand was too big and I did not want to end up with a flat cake.

By Carolyn from Bellevue, WA

GREAT IDEA ! And soooo simple. Will definately try this next time. Don't have to have all those different sizes around either. ;>)

Thanks for the idea.

Now why din't I think of this? I needed differant sizes many times. I like your idea.

Great Idea!

Thanks for the Tip,

I purchased an extra large cake pan on sale for about $5. I mix up two boxes of cake mix(one vanilla and one chocolate) and divide the pan as you show, minus the parchement paper. Bake as usual, once cooled remove the foil and the two halves fit together perfectly. Decorate and birthday guests can get thier choice of cake, and I don't have to spend $30 on a bakery cake for my daughter bday parties.

Thanks! I want to make a lasagna and the taste was great last time but not the shape. I'll use this idea today!

Baking ingredients on a wood bread board.
Baking Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingAugust 11, 2006
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
Resizing a Hat
Resizing a Hat
Dirty Pots and Pans
Cleaning Pots and Pans
Dirty drip pan and stove top.
Keeping Electric Range Drip Pans Clean