Recipes For Someone On Dialysis

My father-in-law, to whom I am primary caregiver, has started dialysis. It seems that I am serving him the same meals over and over. Can anyone help me with some recipes that contain no tomatoes, artichokes, dried beans, broccoli, brussel sprouts, greens, lentils, lima beans, mushrooms, parsnips, winter squash, coconut, nuts/seeds as these are all high in potassium and we have to really limit that and salt. Potatoes are also high in potassium but he can have those if we dialyze them first. Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Cindy from Breaux Bridge, LA

From "Creative Cooking for Renal Diabetic Diets," Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 1985

CHICKEN BREASTS AND MUSHROOMS IN WINE

2 Tbs margarine

2 whole split chicken breasts

2 green onions

1/8 tsp pepper

1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms

1/3 cup white wine

Melt the margarine in a skillet and brown the skin side of the chicken.

Turn chicken over, add onions and saute for 10 minutes until chicken is golden and onions tender. Season with pepper. Add mushrooms and wine, scraping any bits stuck on the bottom of the pan. Cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken, onions, and mushrooms to a warm platter. Cook the pan juices over high heat to reduce. Pour over chicken and serve. 8 servings.

I found this one for you...my Dad was on Dialysis for years. My Mom learned to be very creative...she also did pork chops with pineapple and rice.

Allrecipes.com has a search by ingredients where you can choose things you DON'T want in the recipe...that's a nice feature.

Also, I don't know how often your f-i-l goes..my dad went 4 days a week. The nutritionist at the center told my mother she could relax his diet on dialysis days...everything was going to be flushed out anyway. I'm not recommending that, but you may want to ask someone if that also pertains to your fil's case.

It is a very difficult diet to follow...potassium, phosphorous, salt, liquid intake...it can be maddening. Also try the http://www.culinarykidneycooks.com/recipe_of_the_week.htm

I typed in "dialysis recipe" into google and got quite a few listings.

Good luck, I know it's not easy.

Oh, also try chatting with the caregivers at the dialysis center. They had lots of ideas, too.

God be with you!

-LouAnn

Slow Cooker Pineapple Pork Roast

* 1 (3 pound) boneless pork roast

* 2 teaspoons seasoned salt (you can use Mrs. Dash)

* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper

* 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, undrained

DIRECTIONS

1. Rub the pork roast on all sides with salt and pepper, and place in a slow cooker. Pour in the pineapple chunks and juice, and sprinkle in the cranberries.

2. Cover, and cook 7 hours on Low.

Thanks for your help!

I really appreciate it! I am going to try both recipes posted here and also go to those websites for additional help.

Maybe I can put some more variety in his meals again!

LouAnn - he is supposed to go three days a week but for the last 3 weeks, he has only gone twice a week. He is very hard headed and stubborn Cajun man. He has convinced himself that since he is feeling better, he doesn't even need dialysis anymore but says he will go twice a week to make us happy. He also has back issues that make it very painful for him to sit in that chair for 3-4 hours. But pain meds make his B/P fall too low. So we are in a very precarious place. I am trying to keep on his diet as closely as possible all the time.

Food and Recipes Recipes Dieting Low SaltAugust 12, 2008
eating a burger
Helping Someone Who is Choking
Organized Colorful Clothing
Organizing Clothing for the Color Blind
Sad dog looking up at its owner.
Training a Dog That Bit Someone
patchwork quilt
Hiring Someone to Make a Quilt
🎉
🎄