Personalized Recipe/Tip Book

Each time I try a recipe (I'm a recipeholic) and it works, I type it out adding my own personal thoughts or tips on the dish, including what goes well with it, whether it be a certain wine or side dish. Each recipe is in its own category: Beef, Fowl, Side, Beverage, etc. But, it doesn't stop there. I've also added sections of Food Tips and Tricks and Household Tips and Tricks (most coming from this site).

When a community shower was being held for my niece I dressed up my book with how I came upon the recipe (many are from my mother, old family friends, and relatives) and family antidotes. I searched for appropriate pictures for the title pages of each section (I love word processing/desk top publishing and graphic arts too). Each section was separated by a clear plastic sheet with a sturdy stick on tab. I wrote a preface and then bound the whole thing with spiral binding. I'm very lucky to have the machine, but I don't think it is expensive to have done in places like Staples.

I wasn't able to make it to the shower but word was, my cookbook was a huge hit with many of the ladies present wanting to hold on to it longer before passing it along. My niece commented on how nice it was to have some of her grandmother's recipes in the book since she was too young and my mother was too ill for the two of them to get together and cook.

I have three more nieces and a nephew to do books for. One is already done and the second is almost half way finished. Yes, that is how much of a recipeholic I am.

By sooz from Toronto, ON

Sooz, you've hit on the perfect gift, totally unique, and low-cost, to boot. By the way, hate to be the "grammar police," but I'm sure you meant "anecdote," not "antidote." An antidote is something that counteracts a poison. An anecdote is a story.

You can also use a photo book for recipes. I color code each section & they all stay nice & clean & page 8 is where it is supposed to be.

Thank you for the grammar check, JustPlainJo. I never even caught it when I proofread my note.

What a wonderful idea! My mom did something similar with my 15 yr old niece last year for Christmas. She had started a scrapbook/recipe book, and my mom did several pages of recipes, telling the history behind them, things like "This was your mom's favorite when she was growing up" and things like that. You could take your idea a step further and have the entire family give their recipes and stories. My grandparents and all of my great-aunts and uncles are gone except for one, and I would give about anything to have some of their recipes with stories. I think I just found what I am going to give as a Christmas present this year. Thanks so much for sharing!

I love recipe books or boxes. I collected a lot at garage sales, second time around, and give-aways. With this, I plan to make a gift.

When I married for the second time, I asked for a recipe from people. My sister made a beautiful scrapbook/recipe book out of a 3 ring binder. She included some of the emails people sent & notes. I can't tell you how much it means to me. Also when my mother-in-law died, I went through her recipes and made a special tiny folder for my husband's brothers, and their children. The family was touched & today everyone is still making Mama G's sauce.