ClothingCrafts

Felting a Wool Sweater

Can anyone explain how to felt wool sweaters easily. Mine don't felt all that well.

Nicole from Canada

http://www.ehow  ampaign=yssp_art

Put it in the washer with a pair of jeans and put it on really hot water and run it a few times. You can use a low water setting but do not put a bunch of other clothes in with it.

I've done this by accident. I would recommend buying a very, very large sweater - even if you're very small. When I washed the sweater according to the directions on the web site (as I said I did it by accident several years ago) the sweater went from a size 14-16 to a size 0 or smaller.

Make sure the sweater is wool - not super wash, or a blend with a small percentage of wool. Super wash is made to be machine washable, and if there's not enough animal fiber in a yarn, it won't felt.

I have a friend that makes things and purposely felts them. She says that sometimes she'll make five things out of the same yarn and felt them together in the washer and dryer. Most will felt, but occassionally one or two will not. She has no explanation why. Everything is done right but sometimes it just doesn't work out.