How to Fix Color That Bled on a Sweater

Dye from other clothing in the washer can bleed onto a favorite sweater. The fabric content of the sweater will determine possible remedies. This is a guide about how to fix color that bled on a sweater.

I washed a white sweater with a hot pink one and now the white is pink. The granddaughter is going to be really mad at me. Help.

By Cathy

Answers

Best Answer

Try washing each sweater by itself with 2-3 Shout Color Catcher Sheets, available in the detergent aisle at the supermarket. The box will say use 1, but I have found more is better. Then let the sweaters air dry. If they were dried in the dryer, the color may be set, but it is worth a try.

Another method you could try is soaking each sweater by itself over night in warm water with powder dish washer detergent dissolved in it. Use a container deep enough for the sweater to be completely submerged in the water and detergent. Weight the sweater down by putting a plate on top to keep it under the water. Use a cup of detergent to a bucket of water, mix well, then soak. Then rinse well and air dry.

Both of these methods have saved clothing for me. Hope this helps.

I borrowed an off white sweater that is 80% cotton and 20% polyester. I was carrying my black sweater that was completely soaked and it rubbed against the off white sweater and bled into it. So far I've used baking soda and vinegar and it didn't work. Please help!

By Leslie from Seattle, WA

Answers

Best Answer

You might have to take it to a dry cleaner.

I've got a red, black, and white sweater. It's old and I've washed it a lot. The colors stay just fine. Today I didn't think and washed my sweater with new red sheets. Now the white stripes are pink.

What can I do to get the transferred dye off, without hurting the color of the sweater? Will OxiClean work for me or is there something else?

By MsBeater from CA

Feedback:

Rit Dye Remover

Depending on the fiber, you may be able to use a dye remover by Rit, which should leave the manufacturer's dye intact. It may change color as it goes through the process. Don't panic. I had tan pants for work and got ink on them. I got a box of dye remover and it turned the pants lavender as it went through the cycle in machine, but then turned back to tan. Read box to see if okay to use on your fiber.

By PIKKA

I accidentally washed a light blue sweater with a red sports bra, (sweater made of silk, nylon and spandex) and the sweater got stained. What can I use to take the stains out?

Franny from Reno, NV