How to Fix Dye That Bled on Khaki Pants

Some clothing dye is not colorfast and can bleed on other garments in the wash. Non chlorine bleach may work to remove dye from khaki pants. This is a guide about how to fix dye that bled on khaki pants.

I washed a pair of Khaki pants accidentally with a rust colored shirt. The shirt bled in splotches on the pants, how do I get it out?

Paige from AZ

Answers

Best Answer

A dry cleaners can get that out.

Best Answer

See if the khaki pants are colorfast--if they are, you can wash or soak them in bleach--diluted, of course. Turn the pants inside out and find an inconspicuous spot to test--a pocket or waistband. Put a teaspoon of bleach in 2 cups of water, then dab on some bleach solution on a spot and wait 2 minutes. If nothing happens to the khaki, it is colorfast. If the spot bleaches out it's not safe to bleach the entire garment.

I washed my husband's shorts and by mistake I put a pair of black shorts with khaki shorts and now they have stains everywhere. How do I take off the stains? Can it be done with baking soda alone or baby powder? I need to fix it immediately. Help!

I washed somthing red with my load and it turned all four of my work pants pink, so how can I get the pink out of my khaki pants?

By Sam I.

I have khaki pants and red socks. (You can see it coming, right!) The socks went through washer and dryer attached to the pants. Is there a way to get that kind of stain out?

Thanks!
Karen from Portland, OR

Answers:

Red Dye on Khaki Jeans

RIT (the dye people) have something called "color remover"; I don't know if it would do it; but sure might be worth reading the package and seeing what they say? (08/26/2007)

By Jilson

Red Dye on Khaki Jeans

I have not tried this myself but I have been told that hydrogen peroxide works for that. (08/27/2007)

By MartyD

Red Dye on Khaki Jeans

By 'khaki', do you mean light tan or the green some people call khaki?
If you mean the light tan, I have done the same thing-several times. Between me & my kids, it seems like we always have dye(red or blue), crayon or some other stain on our khakis.
You can start with a weak solution of bleach water, lay the jeans flat & put the bleach water on the stain. If it doesn't go away in a few minutes, you can increase the bleach & try again.
I only had a problem with one pair of pants, where the spot ended up a tiny bit lighter than the rest of the pants. I threw them in the wash cycle with soap & 1 c. bleach & they came out the same shade. I'm not usually so cautious anymore. I figure if I don't get the stain out, I can't do much to ruin them more. So I usually just use 1/2 bleach 1/2 water, or I just throw them in the washer with 3/4-1 c. bleach. You might want to start out with the minimal to be cautious though. And be careful not to ruin what you are wearing when you do this.

(08/28/2007)

By lyonpridej