How to Remove Dye Transfer on Colored Clothing

Removing any type of stain on colored clothing can be tricky. This is a guide about how to a remove dye transfer on colored clothing.

I have a peach color 100% cotton t-shirt. The cloth is stretchable and it's tag asks not to bleach. It had gotten several blue stains over it and I came to know about them after it was dried after the wash. How do I remove these stains?

By Deshna from India

Answers

Best Answer

Saturate the stains with straight rubbing alcohol - then wash as usual. I've used this method several times. It works most of the time, but not always. But it's cheap and won't do any harm. Worth a try...

I have a black and white sweater that I washed with a red tank top and now the white on my sweater is pink. Please help! How do I get it out?

By lisagculp from Lubbock, TX

Answers

Best Answer

Try washing it by itself with a Shout Color Catcher sheet, which I think is what Beesugarpie is referring to. This is one product that really works. At least it has for me.

I have a black and white cow print jacket made out of cotton. I washed it with sweatshirts that I've washed a lot. One was light pink. It faded on the jacket. How do I get the pink out?

By Norma from Stockbridge, GA

Answer:

Shout Color Catcher Sheet

Try washing the jacket by itself with a Shout Color Catcher Sheet. This is one product that really works well. At least it did for me under similar circumstances.

By jean leiner

My light blue cotton shirt has got red colored stains while washing. How can I remove the stains?

SUJATA

Answers:

OxyClean

I have found OxyClean does a pretty good job, especially when combined with a stain remover directly on the spot. Apply stain remover, and then soak the garment in Oxy Clean for quite a few hours and quite often, if not most of the time, you will have success.

By Laurie

I need to find out how to get color stains out of other colored clothes.

Answers:

OxyClean

Try using OxyClean or a similar nonchlorine product. This may help. Otherwise, just keep washing and hope the other color fades. You could also consider dying the garment.

By ThriftyFun

Rit Color Remover

There is a product on the market called "Rit Color Remover". Grocery stores and Wal-Marts carry it in the cleaning aisle.

You add it to the hottest water that is safe for the garment, agitate to dissolve it, then add the article of clothing and let it soak for a few minutes.

Check every few minutes for color change (you don't want to bleach all the color out, just the color that doesn't belong). When the abnormal color is gone, spin out and wash as usual.

You can also do this in a pan of water if you don't want to use the washing machine. You follow the same steps to remove all color prior to dying a garment. I have used this product several times in the past with great success.

By gizmo81795

Color Stains out of Other Colored Clothes

If the red clothing is new, make sure you don't wash it or dry it with anything light colored no matter what temperature you use (otherwise you get some nice pink clothes, towels, etc.) The temperature isn't as important as the other clothing with it. Until you are sure all of the red dye is out, wash it with other reds or darker clothing.

By ThriftyFun

Load More