Preventing Dye Transfer When Washing Clothes

Category Laundry
Many of us have had the misfortune of having clothing dye transfer in the wash. So now the question is how to prevent it before it happens. This is a guide about preventing dye transfer when washing clothes.

Is it vinegar that is used in the washer to keep colors from bleeding onto other fabrics?

By Joan

Answers

Unfortunately, using vinegar or salt to 'set' fabric dye isn't always reliable. There are commercially available products, but the best method to prevent dye transfer is to use the correct laundering methods-cold water wash and rinse with similar colours or washing separately are the only truly reliable ways.

The following link has good information and links to further reading:
http://laundry.  Dye-Bleeding.htm

Plain table salt works too. I never measured it; just poured some in the washer and use the rinse cycle. When finished spinning, fill washer up (small load) again for rinse cycle.

See if the color is gone. If not, do it again with more salt that next time. I used this on a red tee shirt and it worked fine.

Thanks for the website to check what to do to keep dyes from running in the washing machine. I will check it out.

I have a Kitenge dress that keeps running out its colours every time I wash it. It has two colours, i.e cream white and dark brown. The dark brown colour keeps running out turning the cream white fabric pinkish. What should I do to stop colour bleeding?

Anne

Answers

Probably not much you can do to prevent dye transfer from one section of your garment to the other.

Is there a care label somewhere in one of the garment seams? It may be that your garment should have been dry cleaned to preserve the unique colour, if so the label will either have printing stating 'Dry Clean Only', or it may have a symbol indicating the garment is meant to be dry cleaned.

A dry clean only garment is marked with a circle, there may be a letter inside the circle to tell the dry cleaner staff with chemicals to use.

The following link to international laundering symbols currently being used for clothing can be downloaded or printed for future use, mine is posted by the washing machine:

http://www.text  com/c-common.htm

I have a dance team jacket that is navy blue, but has white sleeves. Everyone on the team that has washed their jacket has ended up with their sleeves looking a dingy white color. They all followed the washing instructions on the tag. Is there a way to prevent this from happening to my jacket?

By Audrey P.