Washing New Clothes

Category Clothing
When you first wash bright or dark new clothing, there can be dye transfer. It's best to wash them separately at first. This is a guide about washing new clothes.

When you purchase new clothes in dark or bright colors, take advantage of the dye bleeding in the wash by adding faded clothes of the same color. The faded clothes will become brighter!

By Tammy from Udall, Kansas

Top Comment

My Mom taught me to throw a handful of salt in with new socks or any new dark washable item. It makes the color stay brighter or darker much longer.

I put my red t-shirt in the bag with some dirty clothes to bring home from a trip. It must have had a little damp spot on it because it bled onto my beige shorts. I'm glad I did not throw it in the wash with the colored clothes. The white on my husbands plaid shirts may have come out pink.

Instead of putting it in the washing machine, I washed it by hand. I'll be doing this until it no longer bleeds.

Can you wash new red clothes with new black clothes?

By michael from Orlando, FL

Answers

Best Answer

I'd wash them separate from each other the first 3 times, then turn inside out when you wash them together.

Best Answer

Wash them separately the first 2-3 times. Before washing for the first time, soak in salt water overnight.

this helps set the color. Use 1/2 cup salt in a bucket of warm water.

When you buy new clothes in bright colors, or red or black, the best thing you can do is wash them in vinegar water first. That will lock in the dye and keep it from bleeding or fading.

By Melody Jacobson

Answers:

Washing New Red or Black Clothing

This is a great idea! Do you just wash the clothes in a bucket with a vinegar-water mix, or put vinegar in the washing machine, or what? Also, how much vinegar do you use? (06/03/2005)

By Ashley

Washing New Red or Black Clothing

How much you use depends on size of wash load. For a small load with 1 or 2 pieces, I set the water level to small load, temperature to cold, and add 1/4 cup of vinegar (no laundry detergent). Then just run through regular wash cycle (no soaking or rubbing required). Afterward, I wash a second time with laundry detergent to get rid of the vinegar smell before drying. (06/03/2005)

By Tushanna

Washing New Red or Black Clothing

Didn't work at all, now I have red and pink sheets. (01/03/2009)