White Bra Dyed by Dark Clothing

New clothing can transfer dye onto a white bra during normal wear and this can be difficult to remove with regular washing. Special products may be able to restore your white bra or, at least, lighten the dye.

Today was a hot sweaty day. My burgundy shirt from Kohl's bled on my white bra. How do I remove the color from my white bra? The shirt and bra both have been washed separately several times. The shirt is 2 years old and the bra is 2 months old.

Answers

Best Answer

Soak the bra in a 5-gallon bucked to which you have added 2T powdered dishwashing detergent and 2T hydrogen peroxide. Soak overnight and wash out in the morning.

Best Answer

Buy some Rit color remover from the store and follow the directions to the letter. It should remove the dye in one treatment- sometimes two are needed.

Best Answer

sometimes adding straight up hydrogen peroxide would work. If it is white, using bleach would be OK too

Best Answer

Try washing the bra with a color catcher. I took out a dye stain from a quilt this way.

Best Answer

I have had luck in this situation by soaking the item in a white vinegar, baking soda and Dawn dish soap mixture (1 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup baking soda and two squirts of Dawn) in with just enough cold water to cover item. The vinegar/baking soda froths up so make sure you do this in a clean bucket or laundry tub that won't overflow.

Swish and soak overnight. Repeat if necessary. Wash in a regular load to remove vinegar smell once it is back to it's original color. PS. Only use Dawn...other dish soap don't work... at least for me.

I have a new white bra that is now half blue from wearing it with a new (non-washed) black blouse. I have washed it in Woollite, soaked it in Oxyclean and nothing has worked. Help!

Melinda from Edmond, OK

Answers

Best Answer

RIT makes a dye removal product that is supposed to work well. You should be able to get it at any craft store and probably even a larger supermarket or box store. I've never tried it but it might be worth a try.

Jess

Best Answer

I did this awhile back, with a pink t shirt, everything came out pink. I got some sachets from the supermarket. I put all the white underwear in a bucket and added the powder and left it for a few hours then washed it all again in the washer and it came out all white again.

I cannot remember the name of the product, but I'm in the UK but check the washing products in your supermarket.

By thelma from manila, philippines (Guest Post)
Best Answer

melinda, try soaking the bra in boiling water with detergent and see if it would work. i've tried doing this on some white t-shirts which got dyed by the colored clothes, too, and it worked. hope it works for you ,too, thelma

Editor's Note: Because bras are quite often made from synthetic materials and also have elastic, boiling water might be too hot for them.

By barb (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I can across a product I now use in various cleaning and stain jobs and it is a natural deodorizer as well. It is Borax and can be found in your supermarket. Green box and called 20 Mule Team Borax - I would soak in that for several hours and then wash as usual.

This product is great on grease stains, food stains, etc. I add a 1/4 to my wash water before adding my detergent. It is a water softner as well.