Clothing StainsCleaning

Fabric Dye Transferred from Shirt to Bra

Today was a hot sweaty day. My burgundy shirt from Kohl's bled on my white bra. How do I remove the color from my white bra? The shirt and bra both have been washed separately several times. The shirt is 2 years old and the bra is 2 months old.

Best Answer

I have had luck in this situation by soaking the item in a white vinegar, baking soda and Dawn dish soap mixture (1 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup baking soda and two squirts of Dawn) in with just enough cold water to cover item. The vinegar/baking soda froths up so make sure you do this in a clean bucket or laundry tub that won't overflow. Swish and soak overnight. Repeat if necessary. Wash in a regular load to remove vinegar smell once it is back to it's original color. PS. Only use Dawn...other dish soap don't work... at least for me.

Addition to my post...the Dawn Simple...not the ones with X power or any of the other colors/scents. Plain old original Dawn has saved many an outfit for me! Thanks

Soak the bra in a 5-gallon bucked to which you have added 2T powdered dishwashing detergent and 2T hydrogen peroxide. Soak overnight and wash out in the morning.

Buy some Rit color remover from the store and follow the directions to the letter. It should remove the dye in one treatment- sometimes two are needed.

sometimes adding straight up hydrogen peroxide would work. If it is white, using bleach would be OK too

Try washing the bra with a color catcher. I took out a dye stain from a quilt this way.