Organizing Loose Change

We have a change jar sitting on the desk. When anyone finds change, of course they put it in the jar. After it gets about half full, our 12 year old daughter sorts it and puts it in gallon jars that are out of sight (Out of sight-Out of mind) It is growing rather fast. It will eventually go to a special trip for her when she turns 13.

By dbailey from Arkansas

If you convert your change to dollars as you go, it will save you a trip to the bank with 100 lbs of change. Look in your wallet. Do you have a five dollar bill? Take out five dollars of cgange and spend that and put the bill in the jar. Keep doing that until you have five twenties in the jar. Then put a 100 dollar bill in. It is a lot more fun than stacking pennies.

The change jar idea is solid but do be aware that it's a temptation. My older sister raided mine regularly when we were kids, no matter where I hid it. (I knew when she did it because I counted it periodically.) I also have an uncle who's been known to help himself to the change jar left to collect family change, wouldn't want your child deprived because of someone else.

Photo of lots of loose change.
Organizing Change
Organizing MiscellaneousJuly 11, 2011
Organizing Loose Wires
Organizing Loose Wires
Angel made from a recycled green pop bottle.
Making a Pop Bottle Angel
Wood with a screw in it.
Fixing a Loose Screw in Wood
Loose Change on White Background
Finding Loose Change