GrowingGardening

Growing Berries in Thailand

I come from Canada but now live in Thailand and really miss berries - blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, etc. I cannot find berry seeds here, but am traveling to the UK next month. Would I be able to grow berries here? Could I grow them in a controlled situation? Thanks so much for any help!

Hardiness Zone: 11

Leah from Chonburi, Thailand

Most berries, including the ones you mentioned, need cool to cold weather. You might be able to grow them under climate controlled conditions but do not try to bring seeds in from another country. Countries have restrictions against this(to prevent the spread of plant diseases). You could be fined or even jailed. Check out some seed catalogs, they will tell you if they are licensed to sell to other countries.

good luck!

Check out the local upscale restaurants or bars. They use these berries. (Strawberry daquiri, e.g.) Ask for help getting a source.

Strawberries are grown in the Thai northern hills, the same place that poppies are grown.

For a year-round supply, I rely on frozen berries when they're out of season.

If QVC sells there, check out their plant sales.

You can grow what I believe are mulberries in Thailand. I have seen them growing in Pattaya and I am growing them here at my farm in Isan.

I am not sure about the name in Thai, but Thais grow the plants because they use the leaves to feed silk worms. So just ask any Thai what the name of the plant is (my wife is sleeping right now, sorry) and you will be on your way to a very nice supply of berries.

Update: I just Googled "What do silkworms eat?", and yes, it's mulberry leaves. http://www.blur  om/q2168531.html