Big Tomato Plants, But No Tomatoes

I am growing tomatoes in a container but have plants over 5 feet tall and only one tomato so far. What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?

Gerry

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

Another thing you might check is to see if you need to "sucker" your tomato plant. Look between the main stem and branches that are growing off of it. If there are new branches growing in the crotch of the main stem and the first initial branch, you might want to pinch these off or "sucker' them. This will force your plant to set blossoms and then fruit because it will know "it is done growing." We try to leave five to eight initial branches and then begin suckering all the new starts. Our tomato plants are loaded with good viable fruit.

Best Answer

Overwatering also causes the plants to grow big with few tomatoes. That is what happened to me when I planted mine in a flower bed and then watered them along with the flowers. You can wait to water until the plants just start to wilt. It might be only once a week, depending on your weather.

Your plants didnt pollinate. You didnt say whether they flowered or not. When they did, or if they do or are, you want to gently brush your hands over the flowers on each plant. It helps them pollinate. If they have flowered and the flowers are now gone, youre not going to get any tomatoes. sorry

don't ley them get too tall

pull off all the lower suckers(shoots)

then keep pinching the tops

this will make the stalk stronger and the plant shorter and bushier

it sounds like your plants may be expending too much energy on foliage

it also helps to plant some marigolds nearby

(they are "companion" plants)

mixing fish meal(and/or coffee ground--just a pinch)int the soil helps

make sure they're getting sufficient light and water

Our county agricultural agent said you should not fertilize your tomatoes until tomatoes set on the vine and then fertilize when the tomates are walnut sized. This prevents the huge bushy plants and you will get more tomatoes.

I think I am finally getting some tomatoes. This is the first year I didn't bother to take the suckers off. Since I have done this the tomatoes are getting bigger and I am finally getting some more. I actually picked one. But my peppers are not even setting flowers. We have absolutely no honey bees, I am sure due to all the lovlies that use too much pestisides. I have seen bumble bees though. Our local produce store told me they have to rent hives at $21 each and they don't even get to keep the honey. I am thinking of maybe starting a small hive of my own. If my town allows it. There are alot of small children around and I don't want any complaints. I know how docile honey bees are but most people don't. So this year I am starting my own compost, haven't for years due to time constraints. But I am so disgusted with my garden this year. My little rabbit, Gilbert, helps. I use here pearls to fertilize. One of the best I might add. But she is only one rabbit and that's not much fertilizer. I guess every little bit helps. It's 91 outside again. My lawn is dying, I can't see watering when we haven't had enough rain, not the lawn, it always seems to come back. I do water the garden and things I have planted though. As long as there is no drought.

My tomatoes do have flowers. And bumble bees. I have some, just very few considering the size of the plants them selves. I am so discouraged. Valery

no tomatoes but lots of flowers! plants have been in the ground for about a month. they are about4 1/2 ft tall. please advise.

if the temperature is much over 80 tomatoes plants do not set and you will not get tomatoes.

In my case I have 12 Plants I have tomatoes on 11 of them.The biggest,healthiest looking plant of them all has no tomatoes on it even though it got the same amounts of water,sun,fertilizer and pollinating opportunities.I think it is genetics.

I have 3 cherry tomato plants.They are huge - about 5 feet tall, but only one tiny tomato on one of the plants. I am going to pinch them back based on your comments. Also, I was advised to give them plenty of water every day until tomatoes appeared, I think I may have overwatered them. They are beautiful, healthy plants, just no tomatoes!

Big, large and healthy tomato plants, but no tomatoes! What is the problem, or what am I doing wrong?

Don't get bees! I just read Tomatoes are wind pollinated, not by bees!

Answer

Tomato Plants Not Producing Fruit
Tomato Plants Not Producing Fruit
Home and Garden Gardening ContainerJuly 14, 2005
Canned Tomatoes on White Background
Canning Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Tomato Hornworms
Controlling Tomato Hornworms
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 5, 2016 at 11:56:15 AM on 10.0.0.215 in 332 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.