Deck is Slippery When Wet

Does anyone have any solutions for a deck that is very slippery when wet?

By Lewis

You need to give it some roughness so it has traction when wet. The first thing that came to mind is you could buff/sand it to roughen the surface. Sand blaster maybe. The other idea would be to have it covered in indoor/outdoor carpet. Also known as artificial grass. Just suggestions; I'm really not sure what alternatives you have.

Another idea is to ask a rep ar home depot or lowes if there is a wood finish that textures. Whatever was used on your deck this go around is what is making it slick.

I don't know what part of the country you are from, but if weather allows give your deck a coat of paint or stain,whatever you have on it now. I do 2 or 3 feet and then sprinkle fine sand on it. You can also buy bottles of sand just for that purpose at hardware stores. I like to make do, but it works and no more slippery deck. Good luck.

Temporary fix is sprinkle sand. A little goes a long way on wood decks. If you have wood stairs, they need it most.

Living in south Florida, our wooden deck gets lots of rain. Staining didn't last long and was prone to mildew. We decided to try painting it. With the first attempt, we realized the paint made the deck slick. We learned that Sherwin Williams carries a product called Shark that is mixed with the paint to prevent this. (Home Depot carries a similar product.)

I always found that this helped me when fixing my deck http://howtofixstuff.blogspot.com/2012/01/how-to-build-deck.htmll

Home and Garden Home Improvement Patio and DeckingNovember 19, 2009
Water on Deck
Homemade Deck Cleaner Recipes
Sealing a Painted Deck
Sealing a Painted Deck
Beautiful Cedar Deck
Removing Sap from a Deck
Man Pressure washing his Wood Deck
Cleaning a Wood Deck
🎄