Giving a Dog a Laxative

Can you give a dog a laxative like Milk of Magnesia? He won't eat or drink so I can't give him pumpkin like many people suggested on another site. Thank you in advance for reading this and sending suggestions.

By GrandmaChris from Tunkhannock, PA

There are many items humans take but are not suited for animals. So, what makes you believe your dog needs a laxative. I would take him to a vet as there maybe something and he could have other issues.

It seems to me that the dog not eating or drinking should be the primary concern here, not whether he's going to the bathroom or not. A trip to the vet seems in order.

I agree with previous posters. Not going potty is a concern but not eating or drinking should be your first worry. Go see your veterinarian.

When my Lab is constipated I put about 4-5 tablespoons of olive oil in her dry food, stirring to coat the food and it usually works in about 30 mins-1hr. It has saved me many vet bills. I have tried giving it to her on a spoon, but she wont take it so this has been the best method for me. As far as not eating or drinking the vet told me they sometimes go thru phases where they wont eat or drink and it is normal but if it has been a week or longer, schedule a vet visit.

An animal not eating or drinking is a DIRE EMERGENCY! Get to a vet as fast as you can! Problems like that should NEVER wait for responses from posters on the internet. This is a life and death emergency.

If a dog has chronic constipation problems; they aren't getting enough fiber, water and exercise as they all need. Oil works faster and is easier than exercising the dog but it really isn't healthy to do. You can add a little cooked oatmeal or oat fiber to your dog's food daily if they have routine problems. You walking the dog for at least an hour a day on a very regular schedule is also imperative.

If the dear has a blockage or other serious issue, you may not have long before it is do or die, no pun intended on the word do take it to the vet. Good Luck, Racer

Your dog could have some sort of bowel obstruction and giving a laxative could cause it to die. Get the dog to a vet asap!

I agree....get him to the vet ASAP.

Pets Dogs HealthApril 6, 2009
Golden retriever puppy not feeling well.
Caring for a Dog After it Vomits
Someone with a bellyache holding onto the stomach.
Homemade Laxatives
Aspirin
Giving Dogs Aspirin
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
🎄
🍂