MicePest Control

Keeping Field Mice Out of a Vacant House

I need ideas to control field mice from entering my unoccupied house. It's 4000 Sq. feet on a cement slab. It has cement block walls with steel siding. The house is furnished and 30% is my craft shoppe which is closed. There is not an edible item in the place.

When I first saw the mice tracks, I washed every thing and set traps but to no avail. Next I bought high frequency items that plug in, one for each room, no help, tracks are back in the kitchen drawers. Today, july 7, I turned on two radio stations that play bach. According to a lab test 70% of the mice died. Thats hard to beleive but it's worth a try.

Aside from poison (children and pets in the area) can you suggest some ideas I could try?

Thank you,
Aunt Rose from Wisconsin

Not sure why it works but place BOUNCE (must be Bounce brand) dryer sheets around the perimeter of your house, - inside - and no more mice. My fiend was plaqued by mice at her cottage every year while it was closed until she discovered this trick. We also live in an 100 year old country house so mice used to be a problem for me as well until I started putting Bounce sheets anywhere I saw signs of mice. I just replace about every 4 months and have not had a mouse since ! Good Luck.

ERP

Mint is supposed to work. Dried mint leaves or mint extract or gum; anything mint.

An exterminator told me that you should always wear gloves when handling any traps, etc. The mice can smell you on the traps and that will warn them away.

We use Bounce brand fabric softner sheets all over in our camper, and it is closed up for 6 months at a time, and we don't get them but all of our neighbors do. So it must be something.

Buy steel wool (can even use SOS pads if that's cheapest). Look for places that are open to the outside, like the skinny circle around the pipes under your sink. Stuff the steel wool into these cracks. Mice can chew their way through all kinds of things, but they cannot chew through steel wool. This will keep new ones from coming in, but won't help with the ones that are already there!

Well, my grandma once told me that she lived on a farm, and they would take a container make a hole that the mice could enter, there the mice would feed on a batch of plaster of paris mixed with oatmeal, this would make the mouse very thirsty, it would seek water, after drinking, the plaster would start to harden, well you can guess the rest.""

I was overran with field mice in our weekend place. Finally tried pure peppermint oil on cotton balls had little effect then I mixed 2 to 3 tablespoons of pure peppermint oil with water and sprayed along walls, closets, under sinks, drawer and everywhere I saw signs. Within weeks mice were gone. Needs to be done as often as you can. Have been mice free since.