Using a Dehydrator

A year ago or so I bought a fairly simple food dehydrator with six shelves. It has sat for awhile, but this year I decided to put it to work. Work indeed; it has been going almost non-stop since the tomatoes, peppers, and grapes have began producing here in sunny CA. Now there is no such thing as too many tomatoes. And the yellow raisins I have made from our green grapes are delicious.

To make a very delicious harvest of dried tomatoes, just slice any or all of your tomatoes 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick and lie them flat on your dehydrator shelves. Dry until completely dry (check them every few hours) and enjoy either plain, in salads, ground into a powder, or drenched in olive oil with basil or rosemary packed in beautiful jars. This makes a delightful gift too. The dried tomatoes have a very rich flavor, so much more enhanced somehow than regular tomatoes.

I also used my dehydrator to dry all those extra soft plums from our plum tree. The results I got were delicious and tasty prunes. Even with the seeds still inside, they are magnificent. My next plan is to use more apple slices and banana slices to dry. Am I glad my dehydrator is off the shelf and in good use daily and so is everyone else who samples the harvest.

By Karen from Davis, CA

I made an apple pie yesterday with last years dehydrated apples. My husband thought it was from fresh! We loveour dehydrator!

We have been using our dehydrator for three years now, and have actually bought three of them. they have been going nonstop for the last couple of weeks for tomatoes, onions, hot peppers, plums and apples.

I'm glad you are enjoying your dehydrator. They are great.

I also love my dehydrator. I have been drying bargains from the grocery store: kale, mushrooms, celery, peppers, strawberries, and lots of bananas. I look for the discounted bags of older bananas and have saved a lot of money. Also, I have soaked almonds overnight with salt and dehydrated them. Delicious!

Dried tomatoes in a dehydrator tray.
Using a Dehydrator
Home and Garden Gardening GrowingSeptember 11, 2008
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
cherry cobbler
Fruit Cobbler Recipes
Pile of red cherries.
Storing Cherries
Small stack of nectarines against white background.
Peeling Nectarines