AdviceDecorating

White Washing Paneled Walls

Our family room has fine quality paneled walls, which makes the room look dated. I would like to paint over the paneling, but my husband objects. Could I "white wash" the paneling with a white tempera paint? I'm thinking that the tempera could be washed off if he hates the "white wash" appearance. Does anyone have any comments, suggestions, experiences to share re: the tempera "white wash"?

By Carla

I've not used the tempera wash, but do know if you treat the walls, they need TSP on it first and rinse off allow to dry before priming with a good primer paint and then paint over. We did our wall behind the pulpit at church and wow, what a difference it has made and you can barely see the panel grooves from a distance. Not only did it brighten the room, it also gave it an uplift from the 50s retro look.

Since hubbie doesn't want them painted, why not try on a piece of scrap paneling the method you are considering and wash off to see what it does/doesn't leave behind.

I think white wash would make a mess. Your husband should let you decorate. Painted paneling looks beautiful. Men usually don't know how to decorate or notice what you do. Why should he have the final word? Paint.

Why do men always want that ugly, dated, dark paneling? I have never understood that. Matter of fact, they usually hate any wood that is painted. I am with Lilac, it is your home too, I would paint! Do as Lorelie said though and do it right and you will love it!

I am married to a paint hater too and I mean a hater of all things painted including furniture. I never paint antiques but consider it the best way to salvage junk furniture sometimes, so I feel your pain. This isn't painting but have you thought about putting fabric on your walls with starch its a very temporary way to completely change the look of a room renters do it a lot and it washes out of everything including the fabric. Otherwise I would try a diluted latex paint like you would use for glazing before actually trying white wash. I agree to that it sucks that they hold the final veto on decorating when usually its the women with the creative bent, if your husband is a wonderful interior designer ignore that statement.

I don't know about white wash. It worked for Huck Finn, but I painted my dark paneling with white latex semi gloss paint after using a primer and I loved it, and so did my husband. It really brightened up the room. The second time I painted it, I filled in the grooves with spackle, smoothed it down with light sand paper. The wall turned out perfect, could not tell it wasn't plaster or drywall. Sorry I cannot send you a photo, but we finally divorced, (not over the painted walls, lol) and the house was sold in 1999.

P.S. I don't think that white wash would stick to the paneling and any primer you used to help the white wash stick.would not wash off. Just go for it!

We painted ours from deep dark brown to taupe. We love it.