Hair Coloring Advice for Highlighted Hair

I high lighted my own dark brown hair with blonde highlights, using "Revlon - Frost and Glow". It turned out awesome. But, now it's been a few months. I can't find any information anywhere about how to touch up your roots. The kit instruction insert does not explain how to do this either.

I did end up getting another kit and pulling my hair through exactly like the last time. It didn't turn out quite as nice as the first time, but I can live with it. I still get compliments. What I have noticed is, obviously, my hair is twice as blonde and the dark roots remain on the strands that were not caught and pulled through the second application.

I can't do this a third time, I will be completely blonde. As I've mentioned, my hair is very dark brown, quite long to the middle of my back and naturally curly. Don't ask how I was able to use a cap, but I don't have a problem. Any advice for root touch up when highlights were initially applied with a cap. I can't afford to go to a salon and do not have an extra hand readily available to assist. Thanks

By She Drags

According to "The Encyclopedia of Hair Coloring by Clairol" it has a small section entitled: "When Retouching".

Retouch about every 2-3 months, avoiding strands that have already been lightened. If any pre-lightened strands are selected, apply mixture to new growth only. DO about half as many strands as previously done to prevent overall blonding.

Instead of taking a risk and trying to do this yourself, why not look in the yellow pages under cosmetology/beauty schools and call for an appointment and have one of the students do it for you. The beauty schools charge no where near the price of what a professional hair salon would charge.

Licensed Cosmetologist

I do the same thing with my hair since I have so much gray. I keep the roots retouched with light brown and the rest is a golden blonde which looks great. I do it myself with a toothbrush barely on the roots and I only leave it on 20 minutes so it looks natural. The toothbrush evens it out when applied to the roots, but I never get on the blonde. It just blends in. Hopefully this helps! I use revlon colorsilk.

When I highlighted my hair, I didn't worry about roots. Obviously, highlights are artificial, so I just let them be. I re-highlighted with Frost and Glow every few months. However, I have lighter brown hair, and it was relatively short, so perhaps the contrast in yours makes it more noticeable.

I've been doing my hair for over 30 years, and unfortunately, this is how it works. There is no way to find all of the original hair strands to lighten their roots. It's pretty much the same when going to a hairdresser, except when you have your hair foiled, it is much more noticeable. I do prefer pulling my hair through a cap rather than getting it foiled. I try not to pull large clumps of hair through, making it much less noticeable, but the hair ends do get lighter. Call Revlon and ask what color would be good to give you low lights. These are darker streaks, similar to your natural hair color. Pull them through a cap too. They'll make your hair darker, so when you choose to do new highlights, your hair won't be too light. You can also just lighten or darken the top of you head by dyeing individual streaks, which will make your hair look more uniform and the streaks growing out less noticeable.

A woman dying her own hair.
Coloring Hair at Home
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringNovember 10, 2010
A person coloring their hair.
Saving Money on Coloring Your Hair
Coloring Gray Hair
Coloring Gray Hair
Child Coloring in a Coloring Book
Saving Money On Coloring Books