Color Code Your Towels For Cleaning

Even after laundering them, I do not like to use bathroom cleaning cloths for body washcloths, so here's what I do:

I use a color coded system for my washcloths and towels to keep them purposed for their task. No labeling required, except for the containers I put them in. For example: Dark Tan = Skin (dark to keep them from getting faded as quickly, tan because it is a skin type color). White = cleaning sink, shower, etc., because they're the same color as what they are cleaning. This keeps something I wiped the toilet off with from ever coming into contact with my face - Yuck! I keep them in a separate labeled plastic container.

When I wash them, the whites get soaked with an adequate amount of bleach for a good while and the dark tan ones get washed with my dark colored clothes. You could use other colors, the multi-packs of wash clothes are less expensive, but my colors work for me :)

By Nate from Louisville, KY

I don't use towels and wash cloths for cleaning anything but the body, until they are so worn out that you can tell they are rags. Actually for cleaning I prefer to use old tee shirts that have been cut up.

Here is a hint. It only takes one forth cup of bleach to sanitize ten gallons of water. If you have a twenty gallon washer one half cup will sanitize your cloths.

Thanks for sharing this tip. I'm just beginning to do this. When I use a depilatory cream and remove with a washcloth I can't seem to get the smell out. Drives me nuts! This is good idea because it can be used a lot of different ways.

Organizing LaundryApril 5, 2011
Bathroom with orange towels and an orange rug.
Color Coordinating Towels and Rugs for Your Bath
framed felt and floss color chart
Making an Embroidery Floss and Felt Color Code Chart
Stack of Colored Towels
Saving Money on Towels
Stack of colorful towels.
Making Bath Towels More Absorbent