Share Crafts

Sharpening Paper Shredder Blades

I think the blades of my paper shredder are getting dull. Has anyone ever sharpened theirs?

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By (Guest Post) 08/19/2005

Yes I have!!! send one sheet of fine sand paper through the shredder. wwaaaalllaaaaaaa works great!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel 9 2,498 08/19/2005

We oil ours regularly. The sales clerk at Office Depot said most of them wear out because people don't know to oil them. They have a special oil, probably like sewing machine oil, a fine machine oil that you put on a piece of paper or just squirt a little over the blades every 100 sheets or so. This keeps the workings from drying out and the blades sharp.

The sandpaper idea sounds like a good one, too if the blades are already dull.

Susan from ThriftyFun

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Aus 1 08/31/2005

Just recently started having problems with my shredder. It painfully shreds thin paper, but when I put in regular A size all I hear is the motor churning and the paper doesnt get sucked in to be shredded. I opened the darn thing and couldnt quite figure it out. Any help is appreciated.

I think it has something to do with the gear assembly but dont know what to look at. The company is Royal, shreds 9 pages at times(never really did that though)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By (Guest Post) 06/26/2007

I run a piece of aluminum foil through mine monthly & have never had problems.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No