Using a Paper Shredder

Is it okay to line the waste basket area of a shredder with a small trash bag to make emptying easier, or does this create a problem with operation of the machine?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Depending on the switch on your shredder, this should work just fine. We started doing this at work to avoid the huge mess. Good luck!

i cannot see where this should cause a problem as the shredder mechanism should not be near the plastic bag. I use a small trash bag in mine all the time and have never had a problem.

Of course, there are different styles/types of shredders so please be sure to check that your bag is fully down in the holder/container.

Anonymous

I've done this before but then I found that it was just as easy to empty the basket by putting the garbage bag over the basket and turning it upside down into the garbage bag. Using one a little larger makes less mess.

Anonymous

I do this all the time. I then compost the shredded paper.

You can always prop the shredder on top of any receptacle, like a tall plastic pail. If you already use a receptacle for recycling of other paper you could prop the shredder on half of the top and have room to still toss in other paper.

You may need to fashion something to hold the shredder on top or it may just fit already.