Organizing Clutter

Sometimes tackling the mess can just seem overwhelming. This page is about organizing clutter.

Do you feel overwhelmed that your home is a big mess? Just looking at it, you do not know where to begin? Try this: Take a big green trash bag and go in each room, Put everything that is laying around into this bag; clothes, toys, shoes, just what ever is on the floor and such. You will have a clean home in 10 minutes. Then while you are sitting down watching a movie, go through this bag and put everything in place. It gives such peace of mind

By Karen from MO

When reorganizing my home, I used to forget where seldom-used items got redirected to. After some frustrations, I learned to keep a recipe card file of alphabetized note cards, one for each item I moved. Now, when I can't seem to remember where I put the bead weaving loom or the tabletop easel, I just go to the card file and am reminded.

By ChurchGrandma (j.a.) Manweiler from MT

If you have some clean cans and some strong bulldog clips, you can have a catch all to keep handy. Just put the clip everywhere the tins meet, and fill evenly with things like I did. I put in office, tool, and craft supplies.

But, since this was just for show, you could use like things. Camping utensils, napkins, and plastic silverware. Stationary supplies like pens, markers, and such. Art brushes, scissors and paint tubes. Craft hooks and needles, a small skein of yarn or pattern books. Beauty supplies like emery boards, tubes of creams or items for skin and bug protection. Screwdrivers, pliers, and small tools.

The nice thing about this is you can throw it together for a special project or event, then put things away when you finish or get home. Keep the cans together or separate for later. If you find the right box or tub, you can do this without the clips, by just setting them inside. I can tell you that a 6.5 in. by 6.5 in. inch box is perfect for four cans, so you can plan accordingly.

Got a big picnic? Set this, as big as you need it, on one end of the table for all your utensils. Fixing the house up? Set this up in the center of the project area and keep all Phillips in one, flat heads in another, and so on.

Art project in the future? How handy would this be for all the same colored markers, florescent and crayons, art brushes, foam brushes and more to stay organized? You can leave them uncovered for the "unfancy" event, or decorate or paint them for picnics, parties, or BBQ, etc.

If you have smaller things to put in them, but don't want to have to dig, just put the smaller things in a yogurt cup and it will set in the top just about perfect. N-JOY!

By Sandi/Poor But Proud from Salem OR

I recently got 3/$1.00 baskets that are absolutely invaluable to me. They are useful for so many things, especially when you have limited counter and desk space. I put this one up above my little desk with push pins and now keep my stamps, Dr. appt. cards, and rent receipts in it.

Basket with saved notes and other papers.

I have a 3 lb coffee can that I add all screws, pieces of blinds, wing nuts, lamp parts and "what have you" that are left over. For over 30 years now if I have needed something to hang a picture, anchor or screw I just look in the "MAGIC CAN" and there it is.

Crisscross several thin, braided elastic headbands around the front cover of a three-ring binder, and your child can tuck pens, pencils, and reminder notes under them. You can also use the same concept on the sun visors in your car.

Use a clutter jail to help kids pick up their stuff. If you pick something of theirs off the floor they then have to pick a card from a jar, and complete the task before they get their item returned.

Here is some card ideas:

I had an old roll-up front wooden breadbox that I was loathe to part with, but didn't need for bread keeping so I re-purposed it as a kitchen organizer.

If you have baskets or crocks displayed on high shelves, you can hide small decorative objects inside them, and no one will ever know.

When company is coming, take your clutter items and box them up for sorting at a later time. This saves me time when I am rushed for cleaning, as I can sort through the box while watching TV or a good rainy day project.

Keep a basket in each room for clutter. Have the family help clean out the baskets once a week. When unexpected company arrives, simply put the baskets in the closet.

I recently redecorated the bedroom by turning it into the "combo room". Very soon you will see the massive job it was, but for now, this is what I came up with.

Finished basket storage, with balls of green and purple yarn artfully arranged on top.

Controlling clutter with kids is not an easy task! To try to control the clutter in the living room, kitchen, and dining room, we have to do a walk-through everyday (or at least every other day).

Clutter can become overwhelming. My solution is to create a master list of things that are needed to live. Clothes that are needed for our/your way of life, groceries, furniture, and just basic needs which are placed in categories.

I have a small trailer so I have 2 plastic stands that I brought at Wal-Mart. One I use for putting items for cooking, baking, and extra stuff I don't use right away.

I have a small one for my computer.

Personalized organizer from a recycled ruler, magnets, clothes pins, and foam shapes. We used hot glue to place the clothespins and magnets onto the ruler.

Clothes Pin Paper Organizer

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I keep a CD rack by my computer to hold papers for my printer, files and invoices to be paid. It is easy to get the papers I need in a flash.

Like most of us I am besieged by the clutter demon! However I find this does help a little. Every night before I go to bed I tidy up the living room/kitchen area.

There are several things that I try to do to keep clutter down. When you walk in our door, you are in the kitchen. There's the table which is the first place that catches everything that people walk in the door with whether its mail, school bags, etc.

Tiered hanging wire baskets, the kind for storing fruits and vegetables, can be used in a child's room to organize toys or stuffed animals; in a closet for storing socks, belts and underwear; or in a bathroom for storing makeup, hair accessories, etc.

Load More

Organizing Clutter ControlJune 26, 2012
🐛
📓
🌻
😎
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Organizing-Clutter.html