Sightseeing Near Wausau, WI

My husband will be in Wausau, WI the first two weeks of August and I plan to join him for a week. I will have my own rental car and would love tips on the best gardens, dairies, parks, etc. to explore on my own while he is flying. I would like restaurant tips too! Anything within a 100 mile radius is okay, after all, I will be sightseeing!

By chickweed from Middle Peninsula, VA

This link should take you to lots of things to keep you busy in Wausau for at least a week.

Hope you have a great time.

I have 3 suggestions that are outside of your 100 mile radius, but the annual Lands' End warehouse sale could be worth the extra miles. There are people who plan their vacations around this event the first week in August. Web site info is:

While in the area, you could also visit the "House on the Rock" which is the largest collection of everything that you can imagine. The mechanical musical instruments are fantastic.

The "American Players Theatre" in Spring Green is a wonderful outdoor theatre.

There is a lot to do in Green Bay and surrounding area, Bay Beach (very cheap amusement park), the Wildlife sanctuary across the road (FREE), NEW Zoo in Suamico (Only $5.00, FREE from 4-8PM on Wednesday evenings for the Summer). Do a search for Green Bay and you should find out more. We live on a dairy farm in Lena (90 miles away) and you would be welcome to come visit.

Wisconsin Valley Fair at Marathon Park

Hiking at Rib Mountain State Park

Visit the Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum

Catch a Woodchucks baseball game at Athletic Park

Scheer's Lumberjack Show in Minocqua, WI

You'll find great cheese at Dairy State Cheese in Rudolph, WI. The cheese curds are yummy! You can also check out the Grotto Shrine at the nearby Catholic church.

Enjoy your visit to the Dairy State!

Thanks to all of you who gave me such good ideas! We have already decided to plan another trip without the good folks from NASA setting hubs schedule, so we can really explore together - sounds like we need to move out there for awhile (although I do enjoy the milder Chesapeake Bay winters). Will probably ask more questions as my travel date gets closer.

Thanks again, y'all. Chickweed

Travel and Recreation TravelJune 24, 2009
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Spider on web with dew drops on it.
Spider Repellent Recipes
Setting Up a Carpool to Work, Man Getting in Work Car Pool
Setting Up a Carpool to Work
Raw Cocoa Beans
Growing Cacao