Planting a Rose of Sharon Near House

Category Planting
Rose of Sharon bloom against the side of a house
When choosing to plant your new shrub near the house there are a number of things to consider, such as mature height and width. This is a guide about planting a rose of Sharon near house.

I have a 7 year old house with a 5 year old rose of sharon planted one foot away from my house in the backyard. I cut it back away from my siding and keep it about 7 feet tall. I noticed the trunk of the bush is really massive. I'm starting to worry since it is so close to my house, will the roots one day penetrate my foundation wall or even worse my drainage tiles? Thank you for your time.

By Dave from IL

Best Answer

Yes.

Best Answer

Yes it is possible. If you like this bush. Take a cutting and put root hormone on it and try to grow a new one. Either way that bush has to go soon before you get damage.

I am trying to decide where to plant a rose of sharon, blushing bride. At maturity it grows 10 feet tall and 6 feet wide. How close to my foundation is it safe to plant? How extensive is the root system?

Thanks.

Hardiness Zone: 7b

By Carolyn from South Mills, NC

Answers:

Planting a Rose of Sharon Near House

The one thing you do not want to do is plant this tree or any tree close to your house. The roots will cause you to have problems with your foundation big time. If you have no other trees plant it in the middle of your back or front yard. Where ever you will enjoy it the most! We have two trees to transplant that just started to grow at least not with my help. Our Father keeps planting trees for us and these trees grow to seventy feet so they are being planted as far away from anything possible! Good luck.

Dar (05/13/2010)

By aziriel

Planting a Rose of Sharon Near House

Unless it is sterile, prepare for lots of seedlings. I am going to take mine out this fall and put in weigela. (05/15/2010)

By smokeyab