Uses for Toilet Tanks

What uses can there be for a plastic toilet tank? I just replaced 2 of them, and have 2 spare tanks in perfect exterior condition (the mechanism was faulty). I am looking for ideas to recycle them. I was thinking of using them as planters, but they are quite deep and still have tubes within them, and don't know what kind of plant could benefit from the depth. Are there any other ideas out there?

Brigittes from Israel

dont use the whole depth. fill bottom section with packing styrofoam or something like that, then add potting soil. You could mosaic the outside of the tank.....

Plant mint in one! It is a wonderful herb, but it likes to take over the garden, so your tank would make a wonderful container for it!

If you have the lids for them, I'd collect rain water, find a way to either stop up the holes from the inside

or tie off/use the hose(s) from the underneath side

for watering an edible plant, in times of need, or using for washing in an emergency. There is a water shortage sometimes everywhere, perhspa you have experienced it there, too? I'd add about 1 teaspoon

of bleach to each gallon of water, to reduce pathogens from growing too vigorously, and keep the lid on to prevent mosquitoes. If the back of the toilet detaches from the bowl/seat, I'd separate the two pieces from the tank and use only the tank for storing rain water. It would make a nice large plant pot, but a bit deep, perhaps best for tomatoes or potatoes?

Another idea, is to make a mosquito attracting bowl and fill with minnows that eat the larvae, as well as adding water plants that help keep the water cleaner/fish healthier. Check with the officials there as to how they keep their tanks/ponds/tubs filled for such purposes. I read where the cities were using them experimentally. God bless and keep you safe. : )

You can add plastic bags or as the other poster mention to make it not so deep. That's what I do with 5 gallon buckets. If they are too deep, tomatoes will grow in it. I plant them in buckets. If they get too tall I cut them down some. They will keep growing, good luck.

Crafts Recycled CraftsJuly 17, 2007
Bar of Soap Stuck in a Toilet
Bar of Soap Stuck in Toilet
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
Safe Toilet Paper for Septic Tanks
Toilet Paper Advice for Septic Tanks