Cookies Never Spread When Baking

When I bake chocolate chip or any other kind of cookies they never spread out. So when I use a cookie scoop they stay round unless I press the dough down before I bake them. I am a diabetic so I use Splenda white and brown would that make a difference? I've tried leaving the ingredients out all night like the butter and eggs. I've used margarine, butter, butter flavored shortening, and I still can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Hope you can help.

By Nancy from Spalding, NE

http://www.baking911.com/cookies/problems.htm

I searched on Google and read this comment under the link to a website:

You may need to flatten the cookies before baking to aid with spreading when made with Splenda.

Why don't you switch to a product known as Truvia, it's safer than Splenda. Here is their website: http://www.truvia.com/

Truvia is made from the stevia plant, it's all natural and doesn't have the harmful chemicals that Splenda has.

I was raised with a diabetic mother and her cookies never spread out either. And she has used it all equal, Splenda , etc. It's because of the sugar substitute. So because it was a treat for my mom anyways she uses now Splenda except for the brown sugar she uses the real deal. And her cookies spread out more. It took years for her to figure this out and she just limits her cookie eating like everything else.

Sugar is considered a liquid ingredient when it's baked. If you substitute an artificial sweetener for sugar it changes the chemistry and results in a drier product when baked, therefore, the spread on baked items is diminished. I've not baked with truvia yet but I would guess it would give you similar results to the artificial sweeteners.

Use less flour. I like my choc chip cookies thin and crisp and they will spread nicely by deducting the amount of flour in the recipe. Experiment with the amount used; sometimes it is about 1/4 cup less per batch. My sister's choco chip cookies are always round and heavy, but she likes them that way.

Do not try using equal. Splenda, Equal & the like are poison for your body, there's Z-sweet & xylitol, much better & add more butter or less flour to make them spread, but Splenda is bad for your body, actually worse than sugar.

Splenda
Tips for Baking With Splenda
Food and Recipes Food Tips Baking CookiesFebruary 26, 2011
Baking Ingredients
Substitution for Cream of Tartar When Baking
Substitution for Baking Powder
Substitution for Baking Powder
Keeping Homemade Cookies Fresh
Keeping Homemade Cookies Fresh
Baking Soda
Freezing Baking Soda and Baking Powder
🎄