Tips for Baking With Splenda

Category Dieting
Splenda
Dietary concerns may find you needing to bake sweets with out sugar. Splenda is a common name brand artificial sweetener. This guide contains tips for baking with Splenda.

According to Splenda's advertising, "Anywhere you can use sugar, you can use Splenda." I, personally, think Splenda is sweeter than most sweeteners, so I use less of it in my recipes, instead of equaling the amounts of sugar the recipe calls for.

By Terri H.

Splenda for Baking is made from sugar and sucralose (those are the only 2 ingredients on the package). Would it be okay to use it to make homemade lemonade (or any non-baking use for that matter)? Thanks.

Maryeileen from Brooklyn, OH

Splenda is fine for sweetening drinks. It is not interchangeable with sugar for other uses. There are Splenda cookbooks. You can get them in book stores or libraries. If you plan to use Splenda a lot it would be a good investment. They will tell you exactly how to use the product.

You can definitely use it for lemonade, coffee, tea, etc.

I also us it on cereal and fruit.

I know that it can be used for baking, but there are some limitations. Check out http://www.splenda.com - FREE recipes with customer reviews!

I guess I wasn't clear enough. I have a bag and it's called SPLENDA FOR BAKING. My question is: can SPLENDA FOR BAKING be used in beverages?

I went through thirty pages of links looking for bad news about Splenda, and there was nothing of any scientific merit. So I use it freely, and I just adjust to taste. WalMart has a house brand of sucralose that is cheaper.

I went to the Splenda site and this is what I found:

SPLENDA® Sugar Blend for Baking is a mix of SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener and pure sugar and provides only 1/2 the calories and carbohydrates of pure sugar. It helps you reduce the sugar in your home baking, while keeping the great sugar taste your family loves!

Sounds like it's partly sugar and partly Splenda. I'd say you could use it in beverages.

I had gotten some free samples of Splenda for baking and I used it to make Koolaid. It tasted just fine.

I use it in place of sugar when I make applesauce.

As everyone else has already said, it's fine to use Splenda for Baking to sweeten drinks. You will have to stir more, or dilute it in some hot water first, because of the sugar. I love dusting fresh strawberries with it and baking with it -- I made some shortbread cookies with it a few weeks ago. I usually use regular Splenda for drinks. Enjoy & experiment!

You can use this for everything basically. But there is a product called Splenda Blend, which is half splenda and have sugar. You cut in half the normal serving size of sugar (ex. instead of 2tbsp. use 1 tbsp.) I use this in all liquid drinks.

When I bake chocolate chip or any other kind of cookies they never spread out. So when I use a cookie scoop they stay round unless I press the dough down before I bake them. I am a diabetic so I use Splenda white and brown would that make a difference? I've tried leaving the ingredients out all night like the butter and eggs. I've used margarine, butter, butter flavored shortening, and I still can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Hope you can help.

By Nancy from Spalding, NE

http://www.baki  ies/problems.htm

I searched on Google and read this comment under the link to a website:

You may need to flatten the cookies before baking to aid with spreading when made with Splenda.

Why don't you switch to a product known as Truvia, it's safer than Splenda. Here is their website: http://www.truvia.com/

Truvia is made from the stevia plant, it's all natural and doesn't have the harmful chemicals that Splenda has.

I was raised with a diabetic mother and her cookies never spread out either. And she has used it all equal, Splenda , etc. It's because of the sugar substitute. So because it was a treat for my mom anyways she uses now Splenda except for the brown sugar she uses the real deal. And her cookies spread out more. It took years for her to figure this out and she just limits her cookie eating like everything else.

Sugar is considered a liquid ingredient when it's baked. If you substitute an artificial sweetener for sugar it changes the chemistry and results in a drier product when baked, therefore, the spread on baked items is diminished. I've not baked with truvia yet but I would guess it would give you similar results to the artificial sweeteners.