Tomato Stem is Bumpy

Can anyone tell me if this is normal or not? I was given the Topsy Turvy for mothers day. It is now Sept. 1st and I am starting to see a little tomato growing. The stem is having some issues though. It is brown, bumpy and some spots have tiny holes. Also on one side of the plant there seems to be yellow stems and brown leaves. Is this normal? Can I eat the tomato if it actually makes it? Please help!

Hardiness Zone: 7b

By Crisitnm from NC

Take or send this picture to your local County Agricultural Extension Agent;he can tell you in a heartbeat.

I think the bumps you are talking about is where the plant makes new roots. If you where to lay the stem on the ground it would root itself from those bumps. I'm not sure about the tiny holes as I can't seem them. I don't see any reason who couldn't eat the fruit as long as it is not obviously diseased or rotten.

Your tomato plant is normal. Those bumps are just roots.

Mine got the same thing. I too wondered what it was as I had never seen anything like that in my years of growing tomatoes. The gals on here must be right. It did not affect the tomatoes at all. Mine was a Roma tomato plant.

Thanks for your help. The tomato is growing so I will let you know how it turns out.

Home and Garden Gardening Plant HealthSeptember 8, 2009
Plant Stem
Repairing a Broken Plant Stem
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Tomato Hornworms
Controlling Tomato Hornworms
Treating the Soil After Tomato Blight
Treating Soil After Tomato Blight