Frugal Landscaping Tips

You don't have to spend a fortune to landscape your yard. This is a guide about frugal landscaping tips.

September 6, 2007 Flag

Tips for saving money on landscaping supplies and plants.

Free Plants

I work around a very busy Metro area. Recently, the landscapers were replacing the spring flowers/bulbs with summer plantings. They were throwing the spring plants out! I asked them if I could have them and they said sure! Needless to say, I have enough tulips for next year and I planted the pansies in hanging baskets. It saved a lot of money by buying hanging baskets this year! So, next time you see landscapers or gardeners replacing plants at a business or business complex, be sure to ask!

By Michelle

Call The City

I've also picked up flowers from city landscapers as they were dismantling one season's display to get ready for another. You might even be able to call city hall and get dates ahead of time so you don't have to rely on chance!

By Anna

Dig Up Saplings - Ask First

If you are in the market for trees and can identify the different varieties easily, go to a wooded area (if you have one near) and transplant some saplings into your landscaping. Most landowners won't mind if you ask them.

By mc2grants

Use Freecycle

Post on your local Freecycle group. Every spring/summer, I offer the things I have and invite people to share what they have. I've received some great plants and made some new garden friends.

Rescue Plants!

Definitely recycle plants! I have rescued a lot of potted/bedding plants and nursed them back to health, it's fun to see them responding. You can also get cuttings of plants like spider plants or mint which are really invasive.

By pamphyila

Grow Roses From Cuttings

My mom, who REALLY had a green thumb used to plant roses by just planting the bloom. I have never tried this, but have seen it work in her yard. Cut a rose branch with a bloom and five leaf fronds. Dig a hole and submerge three leaf fronds under and two on top, pinch off the bloom and cover with a jar until the rose "catches". I would guess maybe month. She worked for the OSU botany department as a secretary an learned lots of neat stuff... she is gone now. I wish I had listened closer.

By Margie

Frugal Landscaping Tips

We made a soaker hose out of an old hose that had two small holes in it by just adding over a hundred more holes to the hose. It was great fun for our older kids to stab the hose with an ice pick. It was a good family time and we saved $30.00.

Use discarded items you find as unique planters... tires, rims, boots, wicker chairs, hard hats or buckets.

Recycle your yard waste and veggie scraps to create your compost pile. Add coffee grinds, egg shells, veggie scraps, leaves, and yard waste into a pile and stir every week. It is great exercise and in one year you will have saved money for not paying a gym for a good work out and for not having to purchase fertilizer/top soil for your new plants.

Also when you buy fresh foods at the farmers market save your seeds. Dry them on wax paper then store them in an envelope an freeze till next year and plant. Some will grow and not produce fruit but have pretty blooms others will prosper and give lots of produce, so either way it is free plants and possibly free food! Hey, who doesn't like that idea! I have five kids, what do you expect!?

Visit your rural mill or seed store, not a Lowe's or a nursery but a dirt on the floor, bags of horse feed stacked to the ceiling, cat sleeping on the counter kind of mill. Place a wanted ad on their board and you will be surprised at how many local farmers have plants or seeds they are willing to share or sell for a reasonable price. We got several mature raspberry plants for $4.00 total, normally a start costs $5.00 each at Lowe's.

The best thing we ever did to save money was to go to a home and garden show and take lots of pictures of all the expensive things we were wanting. Then we went home and with mostly scrap wood, fencing, iron, and whatnots, we were able to spend less than $75 and created an enchanted patio space instead of hiring the work out and spending $2000. Now that kind of saving is worth forfeiting a Saturday and working up a little sweat.

By Hoffmann House Network

After Xmas you can always pick up poinsettias - & they do well in the S. California climate, being originally from Mexico - and make a nice large plant.

Hi I just wanted to add that I save all my seeds from veggies and fruits over the winter and start my seedlings for my garden from these. My hubby didn't think you could do this with fruits and veggies from the grocery store but you can. We had some great melons and peppers this year.

Go to an Agricultural Fair and buy plants from the people who bring them to show. Some bring extra plants to sell, not just their "Blue Ribbon " plants. The lowest prices are on the last day of the fair as they won't have to transport them home.

Go cruise your neighborhood on Yard Waste Pickup day. Many discards have roots and can be replanted. You can also trade cuttings/diggings with your neighbors and friends.

February 19, 2010 Flag
Kelly Ann Butterbaugh0 found this helpful

Landscaping can take a huge chunk out of a household's budget, but an untidy yard can really pull the entire look and value of a home down. Curb appeal is important to both those who look at a home and those who live in it. It's welcoming. It's also not as expensive to maintain as one might think.

Go Green

An easy way to maintain a yard is to plant low maintenance, quick spreading plants that fill the spaces with green. The ultimate goal of landscaping is to avoid maintenance. By growing plants that fill a space, weeding is significantly lessened. An area that is planted with black-eyed-susans will quickly fill in with dense plants that choke out any weed seedlings. Likewise, herbs like mint take over flower beds quickly, covering the entire ground with growth. The trick to dealing with these possibly invasive plants is to plant them in areas that need to be taken over. Don't plant mint and expect to grow marigolds next to it; it will invade every inch of growing space in a few growing seasons.

For those shady areas that refuse to grow grass or any other planting, opt for something positively invasive like ivy. English ivy will crawl and cover the ground easily in shady areas. The only maintenance it needs is trimming to prevent it from crawling up tree trunks. Not much will grow at the base of a maple tree, but ivy will fill in the area beautifully while requiring very little care. Crawling vinca works similarly in sunny locations.

Avoid the Border

Borders are important ways to keep plantings and landscaping materials in check. However, edging, weeding, and repairs can be eliminated without the border. If you're growing a ground cover planting like ivy or vinca, all you'll need to do at the border is cut close with the lawn mower. This will keep a nice clean line at the edge of growth with very little cost and effort.

Try to create a natural and easily maintained border where one is needed. Natural rocks found throughout the yard can be lined to create a simple and sturdy border. When cutting the lawn, cut as closely to the rocks as possible. When they slide, slide them back. They won't break, erode, or corrode. The most they'll do is attract a few stray grass stems between them and possibly migrate a bit in spring.

No Mulch Money

Mulch is a great groundcover that provides a clean look around plants. However, it breaks down over time requiring not only maintenance but money to replace. Skip the yearly mulching in large areas and look into landscaping stone. River stone and other products like it cost around $50 for each cubic yard. This is a significant initial purchase, but when the stone is still in place and blocking weeds three years from now, the benefit will be apparent. Eventually new stone might need to be added, but it will certainly last longer than bark mulch and it will discourage a variety of pests from moving in.

I'd recommend thinking hard before placing river rock in the garden. The people who lived in this house before us put river rock in the beds in the front yard. They had a few foundation bushes, and no flowers. It wasn't my style of garden (my dad was a landscaper, so I'm used to lots of variety and flowers), so we decided to remove it. Years later, it's still difficult to garden the beds up front, because every time I try to dig I hit rocks. It's far better than it used to be, because I remove the rocks as I hit them. But it's very frustrating. The simple task of putting in new flowers or preparing the beds for seeds ends up taking way longer than it should.

So while it might simplify maintenance, if you want to change your plantings with any frequency the stones will make it very difficult. It would be good for someone who wants to put a few bushes in and never change it.

One way to reduce your mulch cost is to save those fall leaves in a pile and then once they have decomposed, use them as leaf mulch. Saves on the fall chore of bagging them or hauling them to the curb.

Living in S. Calif. I have found that succulents like jade plants are very easy to take "cuttings" from - all you have to do is break off a sprig & just put it in soft moist ground! Spider plants are also "invasive" in our climate and the small plants they make are also easy to transplant. Love our mint patch - & have found that mint is also easy to transplant.

I agree with Mrs. Story, and would add that although mulch does degrade, it puts valuable nutrients in the ground while doing so! And with smaller plantings, river rock could allow rainwater to run off instead of soaking in, unless it's just one layer deep! And of course, if it's one layer deep, it'll still allow some weed to come up, so....just plain NOT a good idea, in the grand scheme of things! If I looked at a home on the market and saw river rock on the flowerbeds or around shrubs, I'd run!

January 8, 2009 Flag

A big landscaping project can be a budget buster, but with a little creative planning it doesn't have to be. Here are some tips for creating a beautiful landscape without breaking the bank.

Landscaping on a Budget

September 28, 2005 Flag

My family landscaped for many years and I want to give you some hints. Never plant a tree in front of your house as it makes the front yard look short.

Home and Garden Gardening LandscapingApril 3, 2013
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Frugal Birthday Party
Frugal Party Locations
Vacation Fund Jar
Frugal Vacation Activities
A young child counting coins.
Teaching Your Kids About Frugal Living
🎉
🎄