Vacuum Sealing Fresh Onions

I have just purchased a food vacuum sealer and I have just tried to seal a heap of sliced fresh onions, but I can't get a good seal on the bag, because it keeps sucking juices from the onions. Does anyone know whether I am doing something wrong here?

By Pat from Victoria, Australia

Produce such as onions, beets, winter squash, and pumpkin should not be blanched. Simply wash, chop and spread on a baking sheet before sealing and freezing. Create vegetable mixes, such as onion, garlic, and pepper and store for easy additions to recipes. Does it have info with it? Good luck.

You could also try freezing your onions on a baking tray/sheet before you use the sealer. Spread a fairly thin layer on tray, when frozen or nearly frozen remove them and fill your sealer bag, then vacuum seal. No need to cover onions on the tray if you are able to seal in bags fairly quickly after they freeze. I also do this with things such as soups and stews, by freezing them in a container first, remove item from container by running water over the bottom of the container until the frozen food is released, and then I vacuum seal the frozen food. Hope this helps you. I freeze onions in this manner when I catch them on sale, it sure does save a lot of money this way.

We seal fresh onions all the time. Have no problem. Just chop, place in bag & seal.

If you don't want to pre-freeze them, try wrapping them in a paper towel prior to placing them in the bag.

Thank you everyone for your responses to my onion delema. Also 'roadrunner' & 'kffrmw88'', thanks for the ideas seems like I'm going to have a lot of fun with the sealer. Regards

According to my instruction manuel on a food saver I just bought, you should NEVER vacuum seal raw onions due to the danger of aenerobic bacteria. This is a bacteria that does not need oxygen to grow. It is the same thing as improperly home canned green beans, in that case its botulism and is deadly.

Food and Recipes StorageDecember 27, 2009
Frozen Veggies
Storing Vacuum Sealed Food
Upclose photo of beige carpet.
Cleaning Carpets Without a Vacuum
Onions growing in the ground.
Growing Onions
Vacuum Sealed Turkey Breast
Vacuum Sealing Food
🎉
🎄